Test of Friendship

The teens arrive at the rodeo and agree to split up to find Lucas faster.

Riley was just looking around when she noticed some boys who looked like bull riders out of the corner of her eye.

Those boys had girls on their arms and they were all flirting with each other except for one boy.

She turns to look at them more closely when she locks eyes with the person she was hoping to find.

She notices that he freezes on seeing her. He stares at her in disbelief. She's not sure if it's a good thing or not.

She walks towards him but even though he looks like he wants to be anywhere but there he doesn't move a muscle.

She takes this as a positive sign and keeps walking towards him.

---------

Lucas is so shocked to see Riley in Texas that he thinks he's dreaming.

Even though she's right in front of him he's finding it hard to believe that she's actually there.

He notices that she's walking towards him so he tries to get his legs to move.

His head tells him not to be anywhere around the girl that hurt him but his heart tells him to stay.

He gets stuck in the head and heart battle and before he knows it, Riley is standing right in front of him.

"Hi", Riley says nervously

"Hey", Lucas replies flatly

"Hey", Riley replies, slightly hopeful

Lucas sighs and replies, "Hi"

They stand next to each other in an awkward silence for some time.

"What are you doing here, Riley?, Lucas asks with no emotion, breaking the silence.

Riley is slightly concerned because of his emotionless replies but replies anyway, "I came looking for you."

Lucas is surprised on hearing this but quickly masks his emotions again and plainly says, "All of them are here in Texas right now, aren't they?"

Riley looks away and that's good enough for Lucas to know that he is right.

Lucas sighs and says, "I came here for a break. There's a reason why I never told anyone."

Riley replies, "You told my mother though, didn't you?"

Lucas is once again surprised but doesn't cover it up again.

"I told her because Auggie deserves to know that I'm unable to meet him this weekend like I usually do. Not that you would know about that." Lucas replies with little emotion. "And the only thing I told her was that I was taking a trip out of town. I never told her where I was going. But I also know for a fact she wasn't the one who told you I wasn't in New York. And if you must know how I'm sure of this it's because I specifically asked her not to. She actually listens to me, unlike some people. So how did you find me?"

"Zay's grandparents mentioned it when they called to talk to Zay two days ago. We've been here since yesterday." Riley answers, quietly. "Zay's grandfather also mentioned that you're riding a bull again. I also know that I have no right but, please be careful with that bull."

Lucas looks surprised like he was expecting her to try and stop him when she says, "I have no right to try and stop you, not that you would listen to anyone let alone me. You've made up your mind so I will support your decision."

Lucas shoots her a grateful smile.

Just then the others also arrive.

Farkle is the first one to say, "Lucas please don't ride the bull again. You've got nothing to prove so please don't go with this madness. We're very sorry for how we treated you but please don't go through with this."

The other teens, except Riley, nod in agreement.

Lucas shoots them a sharp look and replies, "I'm not riding to prove myself to anyone. If you must know I'm doing this for myself. I don't care if you don't want me to ride because my mind is made up."

"But it's suicide", Zay refutes.

Lucas shoots him a menacing glare which makes him step back.

"It's not any of your concern," he says, almost growling. "I can take care of myself and I also know all the risks."

Just then the announcer's voice is heard over the loudspeaker, "Lucas Friar to the bullpen. Lucas Friar to the bullpen."

Lucas looks up and says, "Now if y'all will excuse me, I have a bull to ride." And with that he turns around and leaves.