Growing Strains

Meanwhile, back at the Matthews place, the teens are sitting at the bay window in complete silence.

None of them knows what to say or think. They all know Lucas was right about everything he said.

Maya finally breaks the silence and says, "So what are we gonna do about Ranger Rick?"

"We have to earn his trust back. We have to prove to him that we care about him and will be there for him." Farkle replies.

"I agree. We have to prove to him that if he falls, we'll be there to catch him" Zay adds.

"We haven't been there for him during the past few months. It will not be easy to convince him now" Smackle points out.

"But we have to keep trying." Riley says determined.

-------------

The next day at school, the teens are in class waiting for the teacher. Cory finally arrives and takes the attendance only to realize that Lucas is absent. The teens all looked baffled which doesn't really instill Cory with any confidence.

Cory continues to take his class even though he is really worried about Lucas being absent and decides to look into it later.

After class he stops Riley and her friends to ask what they know about the matter.

The teens mention being just as surprised about Lucas skipping school.

Cory then pushes to know what happened the previous day because he had noticed Lucas was not with them when they came home. He dearly hoped that Lucas was simply sick.

The teens look down ashamed and silent which sets off alarms in Cory's mind.

Smackle finally relieved what had happened at Topanga's when they had gone there to do their homework.

Farkle continues and tells him about how he was blaming Lucas for the whole triangle mess.

Zay continues to tell him how Lucas exploded on them relieving how much they had hurt him with their ignorance.

Riley goes ahead and tells him how Lucas left the bakery in tears.

Maya finally speaks, "Matthews we don't know what to do. We want to apologize but we know it's not gonna be that easy. Can you help us?"

Cory looks at all their faces begging him to help them and takes a deep breath. "I wish I could help you all out but there isn't much I can do. You will have to figure out some way to get him to listen to you, which will not be easy mind you. You have to make up for all the hurt and also convince him that if he opens up to you all he won't get hurt again. He won't trust you all at first and for good reason too. He'll avoid you at first because that's the only way he thinks he can protect himself. For now I would suggest giving him some space while you figure out how to apologize for when he does agree to listen to you."

The teens all nod understanding what their teacher is talking about. They spend their time trying to figure out a way to talk to Lucas while giving him his space.