Catching Up

The next morning Riley wakes up to find Lucas still sleeping. She smiles to herself, happy that he was home safe and resting well.

She starts her daily routine while also trying to be as quiet as possible so that she doesn't disturb Lucas.

She had heard her boyfriend moving around in bed last night so she knew he still had some trouble sleeping.

She was almost ready when Maya shows up announcing her presence rather loudly, "Rise and Shine Riles"

Riley quickly turns and shushes her saying, "Maya keep it down."

Right then, Lucas starts waking up and Riley continues, "See you woke Lucas up."

Lucas looks around, half asleep, to see what the commotion was about when he sees Riley and Maya ready in the room.

"Good morning guys. Is it time for school already?" Lucas says sleepily.

Riley replies, "Yeah, we were just about to leave. You can go back to sleep now. I know you didn't sleep well last night "

Lucas shakes his head and says, "I won't be able to sleep again so I might as well get ready. You guys continue whatever you were doing while I go and wash up."

With that he walks to the bathroom in Riley's room taking a few of his clothes from the closet.

------

Riley waits till Lucas enters the bathroom before she turns to Maya with an angry expression.

Maya looks at her sheepishly and says, "I'm sorry"

Riley bitterly replies, "Oh you better be Peaches. Do you have to announce yourself so loudly? He was finally sleeping peacefully after shifting around all night."

Maya just gives her an apologetic look, not knowing what else to say.

Riley pinches her nose before gesturing to the door and says, "Go tell my mom that Lucas and I are just coming for breakfast. I need to check if he needs any help."

Maya nods before leaving the room.

Riley goes to remove Lucas' medicine for him.

Lucas enters the room and notices that Maya is now absent and looks at Riley confused.

Riley giggles at his expression and answers, "You look really cute when you're all confused. I sent Maya to tell mom that we both were coming for breakfast. Now take your medicine quickly."

Lucas makes a face at being called cute but follows her instructions.

After taking his medicine, Lucas takes Riley's hand and guides her out.

------

They walk into the dining room hand in hand when they see everyone was present at the table. They greet everyone before sitting at the table themselves.

Topanga gives them both a plate.

Lucas looks at his plate with wide eyes and opens his mouth to protest when he sees Topanga giving him the 'Shut up and eat everything on your plate' look.

He quickly shuts his mouth before turning to eat his breakfast.

He may have done a few stupid things in the past couple of weeks but he certainly wasn't an idiot who would argue with Topanga early in the morning.

------

After breakfast everyone leaves for school and work except for Topanga and Lucas.

He turns to Topanga and says, "Don't you have work? If you're staying home because of me, I promise I can look after myself. You don't have to worry about me."

Topanga smiles before she replies, "I'm staying home to take care of my son who's hurt. Don't worry about my work because I can work from home as well if needed. Now come on, let's find something to do before we die of boredom."

Lucas gives her a grateful smile and helps her find something to do for them.

------

Riley and Maya meet their friends near their lockers. Zay waves when he sees them.

They all greet each other when Farkle says, "Hey do any of you know what Lucas is doing today? I really hope he doesn't come to school today and rests properly." He pauses for a moment before he continues, "I don't like the thought of him being alone either though."

Riley replies, "He's staying home today, don't worry. I left him some notes because he'll probably be catching up with everything he missed."

Maya adds, "He's under Topanga's supervision all day today so don't worry. He's in good hands."

Farkle and Smackle look relieved to know Lucas has someone to look after him during the day.

Zay looks confused and asks, "Wait what do you mean he's with Topanga? What about his parents?"

Riley sighs and says, "Mom announced at the airport that Lucas was gonna stay with us because his parents aren't home. Lucas went to pick some more clothes from his apartment as well yesterday. He looked like he had cried when he came back so I'm guessing they hadn't been back since before he left for Texas. I didn't ask him but I'm sure that is the case because mom looked worried about him as well."

Smackle asks, "How are you so sure?"

Riley replies, "Mom looked at him like she looks at me and Auggie when something is either bothering us or we're hurt. She even had a few tears in her eyes."

Zay comments smiling, "She really considers him as her own son, doesn't she?"

Riley replies, "Yeah she does and I couldn't be more glad."

Farkle says, "He might not say it out loud but even he knows that he needs someone to look after him especially with his parents being absent like this."

Zay adds, "I was really surprised when Pappy Joe told us that. He had always been so close to his parents and now he gets ignored like that. I honestly can't believe they would do such a thing to their only son."

Smackle comments, "People and their emotions are complicated. For Lucas' sake, I hope they realize what they are doing is wrong soon."

Maya adds, "Parents can be stupid. I always complained about my father leaving but living with your parents and being ignored by them sounds a lot worse."

Zay says, "I really hope he opens up about this to us soon."

They all nod in agreement.

Just then the bell goes.

Smackle says, "Let's get to class now. We'll go see him after school."

They can't wait for school to be over so that they can go and check up on Lucas.