Getting Better

Josh doesn't have to look very far to find Maya.

She was sitting on the chairs right outside the room. He goes towards her and quietly sits down next to her.

They sit like that in silence for a while when Maya says, "I really messed things up, didn't I? I'm supposed to be Riley's best friend and I did nothing but hurt her for months. I should have been the one to figure out that she was lying, not Farkle. I should have stopped her when we were in Texas last year. Then none of this would have happened. Why does she always have to be so selfless?"

Josh takes a deep breath and replies, "You can't blame yourself for this, Maya. All of you handled the situation the way you thought best. You've all grown from this. I know this sounds kinda lame but think of it this way. If everything that happened this past year hadn't happened, I seriously doubt either of those two fools would have confessed. They were both in love with each other but also terrified of their feelings."

Maya interjected, "You never know"

Josh ignores her and continues, "Do I like the fact that Lucas is in the hospital, right now? No I don't, but you can't help these things sometimes. If it's meant to happen, nothing can stop it from happening. The only thing you can do is learn from your experiences and grow as a person. That's what life if about."

Maya cracks a smile and asks, "When did you get so good at giving advice?"

Josh replies nonchalantly, "Well I lived next door to Mr. Feeny for years. Something was bound to rub-off at some point. Then there's my crazy brother too."

Maya giggles and says, "Thank you Josh. You've really helped me figure things out these past few weeks. If it wasn't for you, I probably would still be confused about my feelings."

Josh replies, "I'm happy I could help you out. I also have something else I need to say."

Maya notices that Josh looked nervous and asks, "What is it?"

Josh takes a deep breath to calm his nerves and says, "I really like you Maya. I know I always say that we can't be together because I'm three years older but I had to tell you. Looking at Lucas I realized that I couldn't keep hiding my feelings just because I'm afraid. I understand if you don't feel the same way and reject me. I probably deserve it for every time that I rejected you over the past few years and all. I just had to tell you b-"

Josh couldn't complete his sentence because he felt someone kiss him. He was surprised to see that it was Maya who was kissing him but he kissed her back anyways.

They finally parted for air and Maya says, "You talk too much. And to tell you the truth, I like you a lot. My feelings for you never went away. I had just lost myself for a bit and you've helped me find my way back. "

They stare into each other's eyes for a few minutes in silence.

Josh facepalms himself and says, "I can't believe he was right again."

Maya looks confused and asks, "What are you talking about? Who was right again?"

Josh looks at her and replies, "Lucas. He knew we both liked each other. He also kinda pushed me to tell you how I feel."

Maya giggles and says, "Guess we should thank him. Come on, I'm sure they are waiting for us inside."

Josh interjects, "Just to be clear we are dating, right?"

Maya looks at him in mock surprise with her hands on her waist and says, "Joshua Gabriel Matthews! What kind of a girl do you think I am? I don't go around kissing random people, Boing."

Josh pulls Maya in a side hug and replies, "That's good to know."

Maya shakes her head and says, "Now come on."

With that she pulls Josh drags him behind her to the hospital room.

-----------

When they enter they hear Auggie bringing Lucas up to date with everything that happened in his class. Everyone turns to see Maya and Josh holding hands and smiles.

Josh says, "Don't you dare say 'I told you so' now Lucas."

Lucas raises his hands up in surrender and replies, "Wasn't even thinking about it."

Riley then interjects, "But I can definitely say something Uncle Josh. Lucas told you so."

Josh groans while everyone else laughs at Riley's antics.

Maya then clears her throat and says, "Guys I'm really sorry about everything."

Riley replies smiling, "Don't worry about it Maya. It wasn't your fault."

Turning to Lucas, Riley smiles and continues, "We all had some growing up to do."

Maya interjects, "But if I had said something then Lucas wouldn't have gotten hurt like this. I should have at least been more clear."

Lucas replies laughing, "Relax Maya. You were confused and didn't know how to handle the situation just like us. You also had some insecurities, the same as Riley and me. We all could have handled the situation better."

Josh interjects, "See I told you."

Lucas continues, "As far as your point of me getting hurt, that's completely on me. If I didn't ride a bull, I would have ended up doing something else. I felt like I was losing control and I didn't like that. Also if I had worn my helmet like I was supposed to, things would have been a lot better."

Maya just goes up and gives Lucas a hug in response.

Just then the doctor enters and says, "Lucas, glad to see you up. Now let me just check on your injuries and then we'll decide when you can go home." The doctor checks all his injuries, nodding to himself and making notes.

Once the examination is over Lucas asks, "So what's the verdict? When can I go home?"

The doctor smiles and replies, "I think we'll just keep you till tomorrow and then you can go home. But let me be clear that you are supposed to take it easy for a few days. You are really lucky your head injury was not anything more serious. And no more bull riding in the future,"

"Hear that Huckleberry. You better stay away from bulls." Maya says, making everyone laugh.

Riley adds, "And you better rest properly. I want my boyfriend to get better soon."

Lucas tips an imaginary hat and jokingly says, "Yes ma'am" but then he notices Riley giving him a look and quickly adds, "I promise I will do everything the doctor says."

Josh mutters, "That's a mini Topanga right there."

Cory scoffs, "Like one wasn't enough for the world."

Topanga hits both the brothers upside the head making everyone laugh.

The doctor smiles before leaving to check up on his other patients.