Unfavourable Turn of Events

The teens are all just watching Lucas walk towards the bull pen when Maya says, "I knew this was gonna be hard but that was just ridiculous."

"I'm surprised you lot expected him to even listen to you after everything you did to him." says a voice behind them.

They turn around to find Pappy Joe standing there with a stern expression on his face.

"I did not expect Lucas to be friends with such selfish people because he's usually such a good judge of character." He turns to Zay and continues, "I'm most disappointed in you, Zay. I really thought you were a good kid. When you left for New York I was worried about how Lucas might react to that. Then one day he called me saying that he was happy that you came and I truly believed Lucas would always have your support. Then I hear that you abandon my grandson after everything he did for you. Lucas got kicked out of school protecting you and this is how you repay him. Do you even know that his parents have practically abandoned him because they think he is a disgrace? Do any of you know that those fools leave their son alone for months when they go for their business trips? His parents abandoned him first and then you all follow in their footsteps. You call yourselves his friends so now act like it."

They all look down, embarrassed. None of them were aware of how Mr. and Mrs. Friar were treating their only son.

Farkle gathers some courage and asks, "Pappy Joe we heard that you were a bit on the fence about Lucas riding again until he convinced you to give him permission. How did he convince you?"

Pappy Joe interrupted, "I'm still on the fence about it so get your facts straight first."

The teens look shocked but Smackle manages to ask, "If you don't agree with his decision then why are you allowing this?"

Pappy Joe looks at them with a small smile and says, "The expression on his face convinced me to let him actually. He had made up his mind and I knew I couldn't change it. I know that boy well enough to know when I should give in to him. If I said no he would have gone behind my back because he doesn't let anything stop him."

He takes a pause while looking at Riley and continues, "Well normally he doesn't."

Riley has a disbelieving expression on her face. She can't believe that Pappy Joe still believes that she is the one who could convince Lucas to not do something he set his mind to.

Pappy Joe sees her expression and sighs to himself. He mentally curses the stupid teenagers around him.

He takes a look at everyone's expressions and says, "I probably shouldn't tell y'all this but Lucas does have a reason for wanting to do this. His reason might not make sense to any of you but it made some sense to me which is also why I let him ride again. He wants control over his life again and this is his first step in the process. Losing control is not a pleasant feeling so I don't blame the boy."

Farkle looks confused and says, "What does losing control in life have to do with riding a bull? How can doing something this dangerous possibly help him in any way?"

Pappy Joe replies, "Because life hits you a lot harder than any bull can. That's all I'll say to this."

He then turns to Riley and says, "I don't know what that fool said to you but he'll want you to watch. The rest of you can come if you wish to."

With that he walks towards the fence of the riding area. Riley waits for a moment before following Pappy Joe.

Riley timidly asks, "Pappy Joe is it true? What you said about his parents."

Pappy Joe sighs and replies, "I should have known you would ask. But to answer your question, yes it's true. That's why he's been calling me so often and why I know so much about everything that happened. Just don't mention this to him. You can ask him in private but try to avoid the topic as much as possible. He doesn't like to talk about it. His mother still acknowledges him at times, unlike my stupid son. I'm not sure if any of the others paid attention like you but please make sure to tell them also to not mention anything about this to him. They'll only end up hurting him more."

Riley nods and replies, "I'll make sure to tell them. I don't want him hurting anymore. We've hurt him enough in the past few months."

Suddenly they hear some noises behind them and turn to see the other teens are looking at them, sheepishly.

Maya says, "We thought that since we can't stop him we might as well watch."

Zay adds, "And pray nothing goes wrong."

Farkle and Smackle nod in agreement.

Pappy Joe smiles and gestures to them to join him and Riley.

--------------

Across the riding area they see Lucas getting ready to ride. He was on the bull and testing his grip.

Riley notices that Lucas was not wearing a helmet and nervously turns to look at Pappy Joe.

Pappy Joe also notices the same thing and mutters, "That boy's got a death wish if he ain't gonna wear his helmet."

Riley is now worried about Lucas. She silently prays for Lucas' safety.

The announcer's voice can now be heard saying, "Lucas Friar rode Tombstone last year, breaking the record and becoming the Master of Tombstone. This year he will be riding the new beast in town, Rango."

As if on cue the bull starts bucking around violently in his pen. "Can Lucas Friar repeat his performance with Rango? Only time will."

The gate is opened and the bull is let out with Lucas on it's back.

Lucas seemed to be hanging on but was facing little difficulty.

Just as the buzzer goes off, Lucas suddenly loses his grip and is tossed into the air before he falls down.

The officials get the bull under control first before checking up on the fallen rider and calling for the medics.