Texas Calling

In Texas, Pappy Joe was enjoying a quiet afternoon when he heard someone knocking on his door. He opens it and is surprised to find his grandson Lucas at his doorstep.

He could see that his grandson was distressed and quickly invites him in. He waits for the boy to get settled in before he asks him anything. Lucas places his bag in his room upstairs and goes to meet Pappy Joe.

He figures that he shouldn't delay the inevitable interrogation. Pappy Joe gives him some food and water while patiently waiting for Lucas to finish.

Lucas decides to start off and says, "I know you're wondering what I'm doing here but I promise I left my mother a note telling her where I was going. I came here because I just wanted a break from everything. After the past few months, I think I've earned it."

Pappy Joe understands what he was referring to and timidly asks, "I thought all that would have been over by now. Weren't you gonna tell that wonderful girl, Riley wasn't it, that you loved her?"

Lucas nods looking at him with a pained expression and replies, "I was but the girls decided to put our feelings on hold until Maya figures out who she is. About time they figured out that she was pretending to be Riley all this time."

Pappy Joe looks concerned and asks, "Well then, why didn't you tell them when you had figured it out months ago. You knew this from the time when you kids went back after spending a few days here."

Lucas replies, "I would if I thought they would even listen to me. It doesn't matter now."

Pappy Joe says slightly angered, "I'm very disappointed that even Zay made you feel this way after all you did for him."

He takes a calming breath and adds, "I'm guessing you're here to get away from the stress of it all so let's talk about something else. Did I tell you about Sophia's baby who you helped deliver? Come on now, I'll show you what a beautiful horse that little one has become now."

Lucas smiles and silently thanks him for the distraction.

They spend the rest of the day with their horses.