Chapter 72 Omamori

3rd POV

After Tenma and the others left for France to mixi max with Jeanne d'Arc...

Kirara: "It's a shame we weren't picked to go."

Kirara, Miria, and Shirabe were walking down the road home together.

Miria: "It can't be helped, I'm sure everyone wanted you two to rest since you just recovered your memories."

Kirara: "But it's boring to wait..."

Miria: "Then we can practice later!"

Kirara: "Hm... fine."

Miria smiled while Kirara grumbled. Then Miria looked to Shirabe who was being quite quiet.

Miria: "Shirabe-chan? What's the matter... you're being awfully quiet."

Shirabe: "Hm? Oh... nothing. Practice tomorrow, right?"

Miria: "Yes but..."

Shirabe: "We'll be there."

Miria: "Okay..."

Shirabe smiled slightly to her before walking ahead. Kirara and Miria looked to each other.

Kirara: "Shirabe."

Shirabe stopped and turned to them.

Shirabe: "What is it?"

Kirara: "What is it? That's my line."

Miria: "Kirara-chan..."

Kirara: "If we don't poke at her, she'll just keep quiet forever."

Shirabe: "Huh?"

Kirara: "You've been acting weird since we left the Sengoku period. What happened?"

Shirabe paused and the three stood in silence.

Shirabe: "Okatsu-san..."

Miria: "Eh? Okatsu-san...?"

Kirara: "What about her?"

Shirabe: "... Okatsu-san loved Shindou."

Miria: "EH?!"

Kirara: "But..."

Shirabe: "Yeah... there's no way it would have worked out. That's why she didn't tell him her feelings."

Kirara: "Okay... but what does have to do with this?"

Shirabe looked away and gripped her arm.

Shirabe: "Remember when Shindou brought a box with him on the caravan?"

Kirara: "Yeah..."

Shirabe: "It was from Okatsu-san... her last gift to him and... he was crying."

Miria: "Why?"

Shirabe: "...Because... Because Shindou, I'm sure he loved Okatsu-san too."

Kirara and Miria: !

Shirabe: "They both loved each other, but couldn't be together... Seeing Okatsu-san, even knowing what the outcome would be... she supported us."

A pain look showed on Shirabe's face.

Shirabe: "And I started wondering... do I really deserve to be by Shindou's side?"

Kirara: !

Shirabe: "He's done so much for me but have I really done as much for him? I-"

Kirara: "Don't give me that crap!"