Chapter 54 Family

Shōko POV

Miria: "Y-You're not Shirabe-chan's real mother?"

"Nope."

Tsurugi: "Then where is her real parents?"

"....."

I looked down with sad eyes.

"They've passed already."

Everyone: !

Miria: "Does... Shirabe know?"

"She knows. She knows because she saw it happen."

Everyone: !

"Let me start from the beginning. Everyone, you heard when Shirabe called herself a bad omen right?"

Shindou: "...Yes."

"Shirabe thinks that because she believes it's her fault her real parents died."

I took a deep breath.

"When Shirabe was born, it was found out that her father had died in an accident on his way to the hospital to see her and her mother. Her mother was devastated but none the less decided to raise Shirabe."

Miria: "Her father died first too..."

"No matter how hard her mother worked however nothing came out of it. This started driving her mother to insanity."

Everyone: !

"Her mother became more violent as well and started physical abusing Shirabe. As well as mentally."

Haruna: "No way..."

"... One day, her mother had just finished abusing Shirabe and killed herself in front of her."

I clasped my hands tightly.

"...Giving birth to you was the biggest mistake of my life. You should have never been born."

Everyone flinched at my words. I gave them a sad smile.

"Those were Shirabe's mother last words."

Aoi: "No way..."

Midori: "How could you say that to your own child...?!"

"When I found Shirabe, she was covered in bruises and scratches. Her eyes were an empty void as well. I treated her as best as I could, and luckily she didn't have any life-threatening injuries nor any leftover scars. But..."

I looked back down.

"Though her physical condition was healed, I don't believe her mental condition has, completely. That's why..."

Shindou: "We'll do it."

!

I looked up at Shindou.

Shindou: "You asked me before, if we'd take care of Shirabe. We will."

"Shindou-kun..."

Tenma: "Yeah! We will!"

I looked around at everyone. They all smiled at me.

"Thank you..."

Shirabe... 

I remember how she first looked at me when we met. Her eyes had no light and she was already afraid of everything around her. She flinched even at someone talking to her.

But now...

I heard the door open and we all turned to see who it was. It was Kirara and Shirabe. Shirabe quickly hid behind Kirara at everyone's stares.