Chapter 32 Choice

Mirai POV

"Kazuya-nii..."

I stared at the name on my phone screen.

Why is Kazuya-nii...

I paused and hesitated but then answered the call.

"... Hello?"

Ichinose: ... It's a been a while.

I slightly smiled.

"A while? I just talked to you like 3 or 4 weeks ago."

Ichinose: Heh and that's not a while?

"Nope! Hehe."

I laughed a bit but then I became quiet again.

"... Did you call... to talk about my mom?"

Ichinose: No, I want to talk about you...

I felt uncomfortable.

Ichinose: Aki's been telling me what's been happening. Do you really want to quit the soccer club?

I frowned.

"... What does it matter what I want? It won't matter anyway..."

Ichinose: It does matter.

I flinched.

Ichinose: What do you want to do?

"I..."

Ichinose: Miria.

!

Ichinose: Don't think about your mom right now. Think about only you. Do you remember what I told you about Raimon?

"... I do, and you were right. Raimon is an amazing place to be at. But! That's exactly why I have to quit! I-"

Ichinose: If you really feel that way then don't run.

"R-Run...."

Ichinose: I don't want you to end up like me.

"Kazuya-nii...."

Ichinose: Don't be afraid. Even if the worst should come, that doesn't mean you're alone. You have a choice. You don't have to keep being quiet and listen.

...

Ichinose: Miria, your father would have been happy with what you're doing right now. He was always such a troublemaker anyway.

"... Dad was."

Ichinose: Your mother is afraid. But deep down, she would understand. So don't take fault for doing this behind her back.

"... Mom would understand?"

Ichinose: Yes. You know how much she used to love soccer right?

"I do... but those times are..."

Ichinose: They're not gone. I'm sure one day those times will come back.

I can only wish...

Ichinose: Miria, I have to go now. But please remember what I said okay?

"... Okay."

*Beep*

I put my phone down. Then look at the photo stand on my desk. It was a picture of Mom, Dad, Mari, and me holding soccer balls. I looked away.

... After everything that's happened, can we really say mom likes soccer?