Chapter 24 A Job as a Sibling

Mirai POV

I helped Yuuichi-san back in the bed. He looked conflicted.

"Yuuichi-san..."

Yuuichi: "... I'm sorry you had to see that."

"No it's okay.... what will you do?"

Yuuichi: "... I won't let Kyousuke give up on his soccer. He has to remember it meant so much to us."

"... I see."

Tsurugi: "Nii-san, I'm back-"

He stopped when he saw me. I turned to him, we both stared at each other for a moment and then I bowed and left the room.

Tsurugi... what you're doing is stupid.

I leaned back on the wall.

Tsurugi POV

What was she doing here?

"Nii-san-"

Yuuichi: "I heard you talking to that man."

!

Yuuichi: "Kyousuke, did I ask you? Did I ever ask you to fix my legs? Even once?!"

I looked away.

Yuuichi: "The organization that sets the outcomes for soccer matches, Fifth Sector... I can't believe you were involved with guys like that. Is that what you think of the soccer we love? It's fun when you're winning. It hurts to lose. You want to pass people when you're dribbling. You want to make the goal. Each one of those feelings lights a fire deep in your chest. Isn't that what soccer is, Kyousuke?!"

Then I saw a tear drop on Yuuichi's hand.

! "Nii-san..."

Yuuichi: "You've betrayed soccer. You've betrayed the soccer that we loved! Get out!"

I left the room feeling guilty. Then when I closed the door.

"!...What do you want."

Mirai was outside the door she was looking at me.

Mirai: "... This was your reason? For you brother's sake?"

"... So what?"

All of a sudden Mirai pushed me against the wall with her hands on my shoulders.

"What are you...?!"

!

"Why are you... crying?"

Mirai didn't look up at me. She kept her head down but I saw the tears flowing down.

Mirai: "Why? Why?! Because I understand how Yuuichi-san feels!"

She looked at me with an angry face but tears continued to flow down her cheeks.

Mirai: "Doing something for the sake of your sibling... I can understand that but! That's not something you should be doing, what a little sibling is suppose to do!"

"Little sibling?"

Mirai: "Siblings don't owe each other anything and it's an older sibling's job to protect their younger ones no matter what happens! So stop feeling responsible!"

"Tch! How can I not feel responsible?! It's because of me that Nii-san lost something important! Why am I always being protected?! That's so unfair!"

Mirai: "Who cares if it's unfair?!"

I look at Mirai in surprise.

Mirai: "I said before and I'll say it again! That's the job of an older sibling! And it's something... *sniff* something... I failed to do..."