☾ 43 ☽

It was quiet between Tsukiko and Gaara as they sat in the dimly-lit study room. Tsukiko had, through her tears, told Gaara everything that had happened around her in the past few weeks in great degree. She had told him how they had went looking for Sasuke, that they almost had him before he slipped from their fingers – twice. She told him all about what had happened with Jiraiya and... she had told him what had happened with Fuu and Kakuzu.

"I... I did it to him," Tsukiko whispered, unable to meet eyes with Gaara anymore. "I did it to him... I don't know what came over me... I just did it and he died... because of what I did," She stuffed her tear-streaked face into her hands. "I can't believe that I did it, Gaara, I can't believe that after all this time... I ended up breaking my own morals..."

Gaara stared at the younger female, her pale hands covering her face away from him. He frowned at her condition, finding it almost constricting for his heart to bear. He had always considered Tsukiko to be special, someone who was undefeated when it came to emotions –

But now it dawned on Gaara... that Tsukiko was just like anyone else, just like him, too. She got hurt and emotional over things like this, too. She made mistakes as well.

Tsukiko felt the hold on her hand release but before she could even look up, she found herself being swept into a hug. Gaara's scent felt closer than ever and Tsukiko wrapped her arms back around him, her face hiding against his shoulder trying to contain her tears.

Yet, the mere warmth of a hug allowed her to cry her feelings out until she was pacified. She kept her head set against Gaara still, her arms tight around his stomach as she sat next to him. Her eyes were looking unseeingly in front of them and she felt tired.

"When I was young," Tsukiko spoke up quietly. "Just weeks... before I met you for the first time... my team and I went on a mission to the Land of Waves. It's a beautiful place, of course... surrounded by endless waters... and I found my Nindo right there..."

In silence as well as intrigue, Gaara listened to the girl's whispers, for while she had never indulged this part of her life to him ever before.

"There, I met a boy... not much older than us," Tsukiko revealed. "He had given up his body, soul and even his life up for a mercenary. When I saw him... die... it was a very surreal experience. And when I saw his grave, set above the cliff over the ocean... I found my Nindo. My Nindo... I promised that I will train hard, until I'm strong enough to protect those I cherished...

"But I also promised that I will be a kind person... and that I will only go so far if it was a necessity. Was it necessary for me to kill? No... but the fear and horror I felt... when I realised just how powerless I am to protect people I love... and I did that..."

"The person you... did it to," Gaara said carefully and quietly. "He would've hurt more of your cherished friends had you not done what you did. And even if he had been incapacitated, the feelings you felt were not unnatural. You are a human, too, even if you look more than that,"

Tsukiko moved her head upward to look at Gaara's face.

"I know it is inconsolable, to know your morals had been sidestepped," Gaara continued softly. "I know there is nothing I can say to make it better or even to erase it. But know that even if no one else does... I understand," Tsukiko stared at him. "I only wish... that I could give you the same relief I get whenever I see how serenely blue..." He met eyes with his favourite pair. "... the heavens are,"

Gaara fell quiet but Tsukiko was smiling softly at him. He didn't know if his words helped her like her eyes helped him, the way they reminded him of the skies.

"Thank you," Tsukiko whispered. "Even for listening, just for understanding," She rubbed her cheeks to clear out the tears drying there. "Thank you, Gaara,"