☾ 48 ☽

Tsukiko was physically out of her condition in the next few days and it wasn't until late the second night that she woke up to find herself resting in one of the many buildings she had constructed to care for the injured. She was slightly disgruntled to find that she had ended up in one of them as well and was about to push herself to sit up when she saw it.

"Gaara?"

In the dim light of the room, Tsukiko was sure that it was Gaara – it was almost a shame that she could not create light, only wooden structure. She couldn't see beyond the candle that was sitting, burning on the nightstand that stood next to her makeshift bed.

The figure moved away from the window as it grew closer to Tsukiko's bed, she was initially relieved to see that it was Gaara, his expression clear but his eyes unwaveringly on her face. And then she was shocked, having not expected him to be here at all.

"Gaara?" Tsukiko repeated. "When did you get here? How did you get here?"

"We were making our way nearby," Gaara informed her. "I received the news – I heard everything and wanted to stop by. I know it is late now, everyone is resting and I suggested against disturbing them but I wanted to see you before I left,"

"It's a long story," Tsukiko muttered, reaching up to rub her face, her body relaxing. "It's good to see you... but it's been such a long... I don't know where to begin,"

"Your Sensei told me what I needed to know," Gaara assured her. "You shouldn't worry yourself right now. You need to keep on resting until you are well,"

Tsukiko stared at him in the candlelight as he sat down on the bed next to her stomach – his nicely auburn hair looked darker but his eyes were lighter than ever. Those two eyes were searching her face and not blinking very often. He was clearly looking for something and when he seemed to be satisfied, he reached his hand forward to her face.

"You always scare me," Gaara told her, and he sounded almost exasperated. "Must you do that? Are you still upset with my reckless behaviour? I always tell you to be careful with yourself,"

But all of her attention was on Gaara's hand, which was now set against her cheek. Tsukiko leaned into his touch, briefly closing her eyes and then meeting his in the dim light. It almost felt like she could see every single thought in his head through them. And yet, there was something in there that she could not fully decipher – it was only down to the feeling.

"I'm not upset with you," Tsukiko muttered. "But now, I think I understand what you meant when you said you needed to do anything for your village. I was not as successful, however,"

"You and Naruto were successful enough," Gaara told her. "You will come back from this – is that not what you would've told me? I wish you would believe it for yourself as well. You are always such a headstrong person... you convince me of things so impossible so you must be able to do it for yourself just as well, is that not right?"

Gaara's hand was now stroking her hair and Tsukiko was starting to feel sleepy again, smiling weakly. It seemed like he knew what was up with her because she watched a smile appear on his lips as well. Seeing that after such a long time made her feel strangely at ease.

"I will leave you to rest," Gaara spoke quietly, getting on his feet and looking down at her. "You must rest, Tsukiko. I will await your letter when you have gotten better,"

"Are you going back to Sunagakure?" Tsukiko asked, a little let down. "I will try my best... but you know that trouble always comes chasing me. You know I'm a good girl, I always follow rules,"

Upon this, Gaara looked amused and Tsukiko smiled back at him widely. She reached out and grabbed his hand in hers, stroking her fingers over his skin gently.