☾ 2 ☽

"Gaara," Tsukiko said as she walked up the stairs to the Hokage Monument where she found the auburn-haired male waiting for her, looking at the sinking sun. He turned to look at her as Tsukiko came to a stop next to him. It was pleasant to see a smile on her lips. "Or should I call you Kazekage-Sama?"

"Huh?" Gaara asked, surprised, turning his head toward her more abruptly. Tsukiko was grinning up at him cheekily and he averted his eyes from her silly expression. "K-Kazekage-Sama?" He bit his lower lip. "No... Gaara is fine," Tsukiko chuckled.

"I figured," Tsukiko said as she crossed her arms, and Gaara gave her an inquiring look. "You're a rather uncomplicated and simplistic person, yet rather cool and calm," She smiled at him again. "But you suddenly look even cooler now. I knew you could do it... become a Kazekage,"

"Did you really think so?" Gaara asked, curiously. Tsukiko nodded in response as she stared at the dying sun. He wondered what she was thinking about. "You knew that I could become the Kazekage...?"

"Of course, Usa," Tsukiko replied. "Why not? A Kage should be the shadow that protects their village. Someone who is hardworking, strong and level-headed. Someone who has the best interests for their village in their heart. You're that person, too,"

"I see," Gaara said quietly as he looked ahead again. He felt glad that Tsukiko had believed in him when she had seen him at his worst inches away from herself. Maybe she would never realise how much it meant to him. "But there are people who do not think the same,"

"There are people who do not think the same?" Tsukiko repeated as she looked at him, eyebrows furrowed. "You mean... People did not want you to be the Kazekage?" Gaara nodded and Tsukiko frowned. "May I ask why?"

"There are people across the village and within my own council that have criticised my appointment as the Fifth Kazekage," Gaara answered. "The tensions have been rather high throughout the council meetings. I do not doubt that they are looking for an opportunity to assassinate me," Tsukiko froze.

"Then... Gaara, why are you doing this?" Tsukiko asked as she turned to face him completely. "Do you wish to host the Chunin Exams in Sunagakure so that you can lure them out? But what if Akatsuki come for you, too? You'll be extremely unsafe, Gaara!"

"If the enemy wants the Tailed Beasts, they will come for me sooner or later, Tsukiko," Gaara responded calmly. "Then I'll just be the bait and take them down," Tsukiko stared at him in disbelief. "It is the only way I can find to deal with those rebels,"

"Why are you putting yourself in double the danger?" Tsukiko demanded as she stared at him. Gaara stared down at her frustrated expression. "Let Konohagakure deal with this, Gaara. Naruto is out of the village so if the Akatsuki come to Konoha, they will only find me here. And if I do end up in their clutches, they will never get Okuninushi for he will kill them the moment he is released from my body,"

"Don't be foolish, Tsukiko," Gaara told her. Tsukiko glared at him in exasperation before grimacing and looking away from him. "It is better to hold Chunin Exams in Sunagakure. I would rather that the Akatsuki would come after me before they come after you, because I would finish them,"

Tsukiko was about to snap at him when she realised what he had said and halted herself. Gaara stared at the younger girl as her arms fell out of their bind over her chest but she didn't look at him. He studied her face, her new Strength of a Hundred Seal that she had gleefully told him about, and fixed himself on her sky-blue eyes.

"Tsukiko," Gaara said, moving around to face her and block the waning sunlight from casting on her face. "I know what I'm doing," Tsukiko looked at him, crossing her arms again. "Trust me, I'm not going to be in any more danger than I'm already in," He placed a hand on her shoulder. "I have to act like a man, as the Kazekage,"