Kaitlyn (Part 1)

I felt a tap on my shoulder after putting Jake down. I turn around and instantly I had the biggest grin on my face.

“Daddy!!!”

He smiles and pulls me into a hug,

“You did fantastic up there! You're mother would have been so proud of you!”

He kisses my forehead and I smile,

“Thanks daddy. I wish she would've been there to watch.”

He smiles, “She was. She was there with you the whole time. And I told you I would try to make it! So what exactly happened?”

“I've had issues with Chelsea for years and that song she sang tonight.. That was written by Mr. Carson and I. She stole it.”

He sighs, “She'll get what she deserves. Sooner or later.”

“The sad thing is.. That song had a LOT of meaning to me. The story behind it.. It's a personal song. And she stripped it of it's meaning..”
He nods, “She didn't do that song justice. She might as well have covered the song. Horribly, but yeah.. I'm sorry baby girl.”

He Hugs me again. And I just lean into him and hug him back. I sigh and we pull away.

“Let's go home. I have a few days free, but then I'm going back in for a while longer.”

I nod, and sigh. “okay daddy..”

About 20 minutes later, we're back at home. After I said goodbye to Cody and Jake of course. We walk into the house and I walk upstairs to change. I walk back down with no make up, and in sweats and a hoodie. Cody's hoodie. I love wearing it when I can't be with him. My dad starts making dinner and I help him. That's when it happened... Something that hasn't happened in months. Flashbacks. The same flashbacks that made me go crazy. That made me cry uncontrollably. It's not a normal flashback either. It's one of those where you're frozen in time, and you watch yourself in whatever memory it is. In my case, it's me helping my mom and dad making dinner. My mom use to give me jobs to do.. Cut carrots up if we're making soup. Maybe peel potatoes. Or cut up the cucumbers. Anything to involve me. I loved it. I lived for the times I got to bond and spend time with both my parents. It's a memory I cherish. My mom is always on my mind. Always. I always wonder if I'm making her proud. If I'm everything she hoped I'd be.

About an hour later, we finished dinner and loaded the dish washer. He says goodnight and turns in for the night. I jump in the shower, get out, dry off and get dressed. I crawl into bed and respond to a text from Cody telling him goodnight. I lay down and I instantly fall asleep.

I wake up and look around. I hear talking and laughing downstairs. I get up and walk downstairs.

“daddy?”

“In the kitchen sweetie.”

I walk to the kitchen and I freeze in the door way.

“M...mom?”

She turns and smiles at me, “Surprise! Happy birthday baby girl!”