Chapter 21 "The naive little attempt"

Lucifer's P.O.V

"Finally!" I sighed in relief as soon as my meeting finished, and rushed back to my office without sparing a glance to anyone around. The meeting took much more time than I expected and I was already feeling guilty for leaving my angel alone for so long.

 I knew she was safe here in my office premises and no harm can touch her, but it was still a new and unfamiliar place for her. Moreover, it was for the first time, she came out of our home since I found her. At our place also, it was just me and Asher with whom she communicated. She was conscious and uncomfortable around other people, even the maids and the other working staff so I ordered them to come and do the chores when she is asleep.

 The fact that, she was in my office so the possibility of her encounter with any stranger was almost zero, was comforting my nerves a bit, as no one is allowed to go on that floor without my permission. And also, I ordered Olivia to tend to any of my Angel's needs just like she follows my orders without any ifs and buts, so as to make sure that angel is not uncomfortable in any sense in my absence. 

But still I didn't want to take any chance when it comes to her. And for some unknown reason, the uneasiness that my heart was feeling was further aggravating my anxiousness, no matter how much I tried to brush it off.

I ran to my office as fast as I could, and saw Olivia sitting behind her desk while the door to my office was closed.

"I am so sorry angel for being lat-" I apologized as soon as I opened the door of my office, but was unable to complete, as the words got stuck in my throat seeing the state she was in. She was sitting collapsed on the floor, against my work table with her back towards me. 

Worry flooded though me and I sprang to her side. I moved my hand to place on her shoulder but paused not knowing whether it was a good thing to do or not. But seeing her sitting on the floor limply was crushing my heart. So sliding all the thoughts away, I placed my hand on her shoulder.

"Ange-" I called her in the most comforting voice I could manage at that time seeing the state she was in, but I could not even call her name completely when she turned and faced me. Her eyes were red and swollen, her face was pale as if someone drained all the color out of her skin but her cheeks were unusually red. 

Subconsciously my eyes wandered to her arms where the long sleeves of her top were hiding most of her arms but the edges of the sleeves of her top were shifted slightly upwards, clearly not done intentionally. And the area near her wrist that was now bare; further added to my anger, confusion and concern, as just like her cheeks, her hands were also unusually red like they were rubbed with much force. 

But what bothered me the most, was the forced smile she was trying to pull on her face. Despite failing miserably in her attempts, she was constantly trying to look strong and acted as if nothing happened.

Like I was going to buy her little naive attempt!

"What happened angel? Did anyone come here? Did anyone say something to you? Did Olivia say something?" I asked keeping my voice as calm as possible for me in the situation but deep down anger and concern were bubbling in me. I swear if Olivia said something to her or let anyone to enter my office that scared my angel, she can not only kiss her job goodbye but also this country.

I waited for her to speak up but my patience was wearing off by each passing second.

"Fine! I will ask Olivia itself." I said and stood, to step towards the intercom. But immediately, I was stopped in my track as Angela held my hand with so much strength as if her life depended on it.

I turned back to look at my angel who was still sitting on the floor, looking intently towards me. Just one look at her face and I knew that though she was trying her best to not show any sign but she was terrified to the core, of whatever happened, when I was away attending the meeting.

"Is your meeting over?" she whispered after a few seconds, clearly trying to divert the topic.

I hung my head low in defeat and let out a breath, helplessly. No matter how much anger fumed up inside me seeing her like this, but I knew that at that moment, she was not comfortable talking about whatever happened. I had my means to know whatever happened and I was definitely going to use them, but for now my angel was more important than everything else.

"You do know that I can always check the security footage! Right?" I said with the tiniest bit of hope that she will tell me of whatever happened, on her own accord. But deep down I knew she wouldn't, so it came out more as a statement than a question.

And as expected, she didn't say anything. Not getting even a blink from her, I sighed and held out my hand for her to hold and get up.

After a few good minutes of her hesitation and my patience, she finally held my held and stood up.

"And yes..my meeting is over." I answered to the question which was just her attempt for distraction but nonetheless, if it is something she asked then I will always answer her.

"I will just call Asher and tell him to wrap up the things here and then we can go home" I told my angel with an assuring smile.

"I am heading home with angel. Finish off the remaining work and arrange for a meeting with the client in the other office in the evening. I'll send you his details." I called Asher who was still in the conference hall in an internal company meeting, discussing some points with the board members regarding the deal that I finalized.

"Is everything fine? Did something happen? Is Angela okay?" Asher asked worriedly, getting the hint.

I looked at her and she was still trying to act tough, smoothing her expressions.

"No." I answered truthfully.

"To hell with work! Just send the damn text now!" he gritted his teeth angrily.

'Check the security footage of my office while we were in the meeting. You will know what to do next' I typed and sent the message to Asher.

'Meet me at nine in the evening" he texted back.

"Let's go home." I said keeping my cell phone back in my pocket. Holding my angel's hand, I gestured towards the door to which she nodded and I finally I felt relieved.

Her demeanor was much more relaxed and the forced smile that she was trying hard to put on, was also now being replaced by a small genuine smile that was slowly yet steadily forming on her lips. Her face was also gaining its color back much to my relief.

After making sure that she was comfortably seated on the passenger side of the car, I paced quickly towards the driver seat and started driving. She was silent all along the ride, but I noticed that she kept pressing her throat with her hand involuntarily again and again, while frequently gulping.

"Are you fine angel?" I asked and got a nod from her in response but still her hand moved towards her throat again.

"Are you thirsty? Do you want something to drink? Water?" I asked again.

She looked at me with conflict on her face, as if internally debating on something. After a good few minutes she shook her head and again forced a smile on her face to naively convince me.

 Again! Yeah as if!

"Actually I was craving for coffee since the meeting was over and there is a cafe right at the corner. So if it's fine with you we can stop there and I can have my coffee. And then we can head back home. It won't take much time." I said hoping that she would agree, at least for my sake.

"Okay" she nodded and I immediately stepped on the gas pedal fighting back the smile that was eager to form on my lips.