Chapter 49 "I Can't Lose Another Person I Love"

Asher's P.O.V

Vulnerable!

Under the several layers of various emotions that Lucifer emitted right now, I could see the most prominent yet his most hidden layer- Vulnerability!

Over the years I have seen almost every aspect of him. I saw him being happy, sad, fearful, fearless, anxious, calm, raged, peaceful, but never for a moment I saw him being vulnerable.

Not even when Cali died! If anything, her death made him a ruthless, impassive and a heartless person, who rarely showed his emotions.

Even when Angela entered our lives, no matter how many walls that he built around him succumbed, no matter how many hidden emotions in him resurfaced, he always was cautious that the wall which hid his darkest truth- him being the mafia- stood as strong as ever.

But today, the possibility that could have taken away our Life, our hope- our Angela- away from us, broke all his walls.

He killed all the men that attacked her, with no second thoughts. And who can blame him!

In all honesty, if only I would have had my gun at that moment, I too would have done the same.

I knew that today's incident would have a pretty big impact on him, but I never thought that it would make him- vulnerable.

As soon as I entered the office to check on him, I saw him talking to Cali's photo, which is something he never did in the last thirteen years.

If at all, he just stared at her photo in his weakest moments, but never once in those thirteen years he talked to her and voiced out that how much he missed her.

And in that very moment I knew, that no matter how apprehensive and fearful I was feeling, I had to be strong- for him..and for my little sister!

Though it took some efforts, but thankfully, I was finally able to make him laugh.

Though it was not a hearty laughter, but given the circumstances, the chuckle that escaped his lips should count.

But no matter how much he chuckled, how much relaxed he seemed to be; at the moment, I knew that he needed time to face Angela.

And deep down, I too needed some time to get my head around what I know is bound to happen next.

She might look unbothered at the moment by whatever happened today, but sooner or later, she will have her share of doubts..doubts that we will have to deal with.

Though I have tried my best to convince her to stay in her room and rest for a while, judging by the way she wanted to come check on Lucifer's injury immediately, I have a feeling that; that moment will come real soon.

I just hope that we both get enough time to gather ourselves to face her.

Especially Lucifer, because judging by the vulnerable state he is in currently, I can bet that the confrontation will not end smoothly if it takes place right now.

"Lucifer" suddenly Angela's concerned voice hit my ears along with a knock.

And here goes my attempt to buy us some time, in vein!

"Liste-" I turned around to ask Lucifer to keep his emotions in check, although it seemed impossible.

But even before I could turn completely, he rushed towards the door, forgetting every fear that was invading his mind a minute ago.

I sighed and shook my head, chuckling at the impact she had on him.

"Are you okay? Is it hurting somewhere? Doc-" as soon as he saw Angela, he bombarded her with his concern and worry and was about to call for the doctor, when she cut him off.

"I am fine. It's just a scratch. How's your wo-" she countered.

"Just a scratch! You call it just a scratch, when you lost so much blood and had to get three stitches." Lucifer burst at her, for the first time.

"But you got much more severely injured than me." she looked at his arm, her voice chocked with tears of concern.

She raised her fingers and gently grazed his arm where he was shot.

"It must be hurting!" she murmured.

"Angel please! Can you please stop worrying about others for once, and look out for yourself." he almost begged in a yelling voice, but the concern behind each and every word of his was crystal clear.

"But you are not just some random 'other' person!" she blurted out in a whisper, which I would never have been able to hear if I weren't focusing.

But what hurt me; and I can bet Lucifer too, were the tears that started to well up in her eyes.

"Why don't you understand what I want to say angel?" I could sense the fear in him again getting the best of him and resurfacing as anger and frustration.. the thing I was fearing the most.

"Enough Lucifer! We can talk about this later." I intervened and whispered in his ears, thankfully able to calm him down a bit, after a few minutes.

"I understand. But I am completely fine. It's you who needs more rest right now." She replied naively.

Thanks kiddo!

I would have really been proud of her confidence, if it was any other circumstance, but right now, her confidence filled innocent answers were doing nothing but amplifying Lucifer's fear.

"Do you still want to say that we should talk later?" Lucifer huffed, looking at me, while I sighed in defeat, as I looked at Angela who was looking at both of us, innocently.

"Do you have any idea what could have happened there, if I would have reached just a minute late? Do you have any idea that; that truck.." he shut his eyes and paused, while inhaling a deep breath.

"..that truck could have c-crushed you to d-death." he completed, though I know how hard it would have been to say those words out loud, as the fear and the memories behind those words painted a clear portrait of pain on his face.

"But you were there!" she defended.

"But what if I weren't there? Do you have any idea of what would have happened to me if.. I weren't there?" he said annoyed, while taking a step towards her.

"But-" she started to say, but Lucifer didn't seem to be in the mood of halting his thoughts.

"Don't you understand how much you mean to me? I don't have a long list of people whom I can call as family, and I have lost almost everyone of them."

"I have lost almost everyone that I ever loved..but I can't lose anymore!"

"I can't lose another person I love..not anymore!" he confessed while cupping her face with his hands and looking straight in her eyes, but before we could even react, he continued.

"Do you even realize how dangerous it was to go back to your place, and that too alone! You could have called me.. or at least him." he pointed towards me.

"He's right kiddo! You should have informed us and gone with either of us." I concurred with him completely.

"And why did you even go there?" Lucifer asked the question that was plaguing my mind too.

"I- I went there to look for someone." she said hesitantly, after a pause.

"Who?" I asked.

"My Brother." She replied in a low voice.

"Brother?" I was getting more and more confused.

On the night when she had the nightmare, didn't she tell Lucifer that he was on a business trip!? I was about to raise my doubt when she cut my thought and continued.

"Yes. My brother.. Adam."

"Adam Naese!"

A/N

Hello my Lovely readers. Thank you all for reading my book and for loving and supporting it. Please like, vote and comment.

And please do tell me what you think of this chapter. Your views mean a lot to me.

Love you all! Enjoy reading!