Chapter 24 "I failed her"

Lucifer's P.O.V

A small smile crept its way on my lips seeing my angel waiting for me. I got the car out of the parking area as fast as I could, so that she would not have to wait for me for long, but in complete honesty, more than the fact that she had to wait for me, I was anxious that I had to leave her and thus wanted to come back to her and see her as soon as possible.

She was standing at her place with a smile on her face and before I can pull the car by the side and call for her, she took a step forward. Instinctively I was about to turn my head to the direction in which she was stepping, so as to know the source of her curiosity and more than that, the smile on her face, but my thought was cut off immediately when the smile on her face was suddenly replaced by terror. 

I instantly pulled the breaks and stopped the car in the middle of the road without even bothering to pull the car to the side. The cars behind; started to blare their car horns raucously, but I was least bothered. The only thing that bothered me at that moment was the reason of my angel's terror. 

She stumbled back, and as on cue my feet increased the pace at which they were moving. My eyes widened with panic as her chest heaved heavily and she clearly struggled with breathing. She was trying her best to stay steady while holding her head in her hands, but I could clearly see the struggle she was going through. 

I ran towards her in the fastest speed I could manage and thankfully held her just in time, as her eyes drooped and she was about to collapse on the ground. I frantically shook her shoulders and patted her cheeks in the hope for her to gain her consciousness back, but by each passing second the nervousness inside me was was piling up tremendously. 

A relieved sigh escaped my lips as she opened her eyes after a few seconds, but my relief died immediately, as not even a moment passed and she fell unconscious again. Her hands; that were just a moment ago trying to caress my face and the small smile that clearly was so difficult for her to form on her lips, probably to assure me that she she was fine, both fell limply and lifelessly.

No matter how much curiosity and anxiety pricked me at that moment to look around for the reason of her distress, I knew that at that point, my angel needed me more than anything. I immediately lifted her carefully yet quickly in my arms, and dashed towards my car. 

After placing her gently on the passenger seat, I ran towards the driver's side and jumped in to start the car, while completely ignoring all the blaring horns and shouting of the people that were still stuck behind.

I instantly hit the pedal and accelerated towards my home while continuously holding her hand in one of my own and balancing the steering wheel with my other hand.

"Her unconsciousness has nothing to do with any physical injury Mr. Knight. Its entirely psychological. Was she stressed about something recently?" The doctor asked while examining my angel who was now lying on our bed with a drip attached to her left hand. 

My eyes were continuously looking at her face, hoping for her eyes to open, though I understood seeing the state she was in, that it is definitely not going to happen anytime soon, while my ears were simultaneously focused on anything the doctor had to say regarding my angel's health.

I clearly heard what he asked about her being stressed recently and my mind was cruel enough to immediately remind me of my angle's tear strained face back in the office today. Could that be the reason of her fainting? But she seemed to relax after some time when we were in the cafe. Though initially she tried to fake her smile, but her demeanor was genuinely relaxed while we spent our time at the cafe.

But then again, her terrified face, when she was waiting for me at the exit of the cafe, flashed in front of my eyes, and it immediately gave me the answer.