Chapter 35 "More Than Okay!"

Angela's P.O.V

I felt the sun rays that audaciously peeped through the window; fall directly on my still closed eyes, but instead of making me open them, they made me shut my eyes even more tightly.

Though the sun was trying its best to wake me from my blissful slumber, and was gradually getting successful by stirring my mind into consciousness, I was adamant to not let it win. It seemed like forever when I slept this peacefully..enveloped in the warmth and protection that I thought would never grace my life again. 

And I didn't want to let it slip out of my hands at any cost.

I immediately reached out my hands to grasp the warmth that made me feel so protected.. desperate to retain it for myself as much as possible, but the only thing I got a hold on was disappointment.

Not losing hope, I once again strolled my hands around me on the bed so as to search, but got dissatisfied, when once again I felt the warmth missing.

On instinct my eyes immediately shot open, my mind and body fully awake by now.

'Lucifer!' Subconsciously his name came out of my mouth, though as a murmur, but now at least I was well aware of why I felt the warmth missing. 

I frantically looked around, but not finding Lucifer anywhere in the room, I instantly ran out the door towards the stairs. I searched the entire house but he was nowhere to be seen.

For unknown reasons, I suddenly felt a pit starting to form in my stomach and my heart sinking. Though I didn't want my insecurities to surface, but they started storming in my mind nonetheless.

Yesterday after I poured my heart out to him, I didn't even realize when I fell asleep. But could it be the reason why he suddenly left me alone? Was he disgusted by my past? But even if he was, who could blame him.. Anyone would be!

I frantically bolted back to my room and picked my cellphone that was lying on the study table. It was like the link between my body and my mind was severed, as without thinking I immediately dialed his number to call him.

It was when the ring of his cellphone entered my ears that I realized of what I was doing. But the realization came too late as before I could rectify my irrational act and disconnect the call, Lucifer's deep voice resonated through the cell phone.

"Angel?" he prompted after a pause, probably hoping for me to say something initially, as I was the one who called.

"Hmm?" I responded dumbly, but I am pretty sure that it came out more as a question. But I couldn't help it as I didn't know what else to say. I didn't even know why exactly I called him.

I contemplated for a while as to what to say to him. A part of me desperately wanted to know the answer to the doubt that was continuously bugging me..was he disgusted by my past, by me? But at the same time other part of me dreaded the response that I was anticipating.

So not wanting to risk my anticipation to come true and my heart to break, I settled for the safest thing that thankfully came my mind for my rescue.

"Where are you?" I asked after a long pause of silence, as he patiently waited for me to say something.

"In my office.." he said, his voice perplexed as if he stated an obvious thing which I should have already known, causing a confused frown to appear on my face.

"Did you not read the note?" probably sensing my bewilderment, he explained after a pause but somehow his explanation increased my confusion even more.

"Note?" I murmured to myself but subconsciously turned around and craned my neck to search for the 'note' in the room, about which he was talking about.

"Ohh!" an awkward and extremely embarrassing exclamation escaped my mouth as my eyes landed on the post-it note that was stuck in its full glory on the new table clock placed on the nightstand.

I instantly dashed towards the table and immediately plucked out the note that had an elegantly written message on it.

'Good morning angel! I hope you slept well. I have to rush to the office for an urgent meeting, but I will try to come back home as soon as possible. I have kept your breakfast in the kitchen. Don't skip it. Call me if you need anything. And.. there is ice cream too in the refrigerator." The note stated, but what caught my eye was a sheepish grin emoticon he 'attempted' to draw at the end.

A chuckle escaped my lips involuntarily but not before face-palming myself at my idiocy. How could I be this stupid to not even spare a glance at the note that was placed so close to me, before giving him a call.

I once again looked embarrassingly at the note which was still mocking me for my stupid impulsive action and a small chortle made its presence known as I read the message again. I tried my best to cover it with a cough but immediately knew that the success of my attempt went down the drain, when Lucifer's amusement laced voice entered my ears.

"Angel? You okay?"He asked amused, but probably sensing my embarrassment by my lack of response, he thankfully changed the topic immediately.

"Have you had your breakfast?" His voice again came through the cell phone.

"Hmm..uhhh..Yes." my embarrassment at the whole awkward situation which was ironically the fruit of my own folly, caused me to reply a bit to fast.

"Yes you are okay..or Yes you had your breakfast?" Lucifer asked teasingly, his voice full of impish glee.

"Yes, I am okay!" I bit my lower lip, somehow feeling more self conscious by his teasing. But I was happy that at least what I said was true.

I was more than okay!

No matter whether it was because of the horrid memories of my past that I managed to scrap out off my mind last night, or the protectiveness, safety and most important the affinity, Lucifer makes me feel, but it feels that a massive weight has lifted off my chest, my heart feels relieved, and..I-I feel happy!

"And what about the breakfast?" he continued to ask, though a hint of concern accompanied his teasing this time.

"I was going to have it after the call." I tried to sound confident, but my attempt was clearly busted, as Lucifer's hearty laugh entered my ears.

"I am hanging up the call. Ummm..I have to eat the breakfast. I will wait for you at home. Bye." I said awkwardly and immediately ended the call before he could even respond, to save myself from any further embarrassing blunder I make.

Subconsciously, my eyes closed and a loud, free and gleeful laughter escaped my lips, as I held the post it note in one hand and the cell phone in other, while both the hands fisted against my forehead.

'Maybe, Lucifer was right..maybe, 'a normal life' is still possible for me! ....And no matter how slim the chances may be, but I will still give a try to that chance!' a hopeful sigh escaped my now smiling lips, at the thought. 

A/N

Hello to all my lovely readers. Thank you so much for all the love and support you have shown to my novel. Please like, vote and comment. 

What do you all think of the chapter? 

Also, just a curious question- Whose P.O.V do you like to read more: Angela's or Lucifer's?

And I am really missing Asher. Are you all missing him  too? 

Enjoy reading!! Love you all!!