Chapter 57 "The Unexpected Guest"

Angela's P.O.V

"We are the mafia!" since the moment these words fell out of Asher's mouth, they were continuously reverberating in my ears, actually..my mind to be accurate.

Despite trying my best to fight my mind and repudiating whatever I heard, somewhere deep down in my heart, I knew that no matter how much I want to deny it, but he just gave words to the doubts I already had.

Since the day the shootout happened, I was trying to join every dot that occupied my mind..the hint of evilness he had when he grabbed that man's neck in his office, the way he reacted to the shootout as if it was just a part of his routine life, the suspicious looking men that visit his office occasionally and his weird condition to not only avoid entering his office at all costs but also close the blinds between our rooms when they come, the gunshot wound, his possession of arms..everything.

The only thing I couldn't do was to name the doubts.

Though I didn't think far enough for them to be the mafia, but still I knew that they were involved in things that were dangerous..extremely dangerous.

But now now that I know everything, then why can I not still hate Lucifer? Let alone hate, I am not even scared of him, not even a bit.

Any normal person would run for his life if such a drastic truth was bombarded on him, but then why was my heart still waiting for Lucifer?! Why was it still wanting to listen to his side of the story?!

Why was the belief that despite being dangerous he was not bad..dominating every other fact, every other truth!?

"I need to talk to him!" the words unconsciously mumbled out of my mouth, as I gathered my thoughts after blowing out all the insecurities that were plaguing my mind.

I instantly grabbed the cellphone that was lying on the bed right next to me and couldn't help the small smile that instinctively formed on my lips by the mere thought of hearing his voice after all these days of mayhem that was going on in my mind and our lives.

But before I could call him, an unexpected sudden knock broke the long prevailing silence of the room, startling me.

"I am so sorry for startling you Ma'am..but can you please..umm..come downstairs?" Maria asked nervously.

Ever since I came here, she has always been like a mother to me. From changing my clothes when I first came here in the wounded messy state; to always being on her toes when I would need anything, she was always there.

And not only me but she adored Lucifer and Asher too.

Asher once told me that she was working for Lucifer since he was a kid and that was probably the reason why she was the only one among the staff who did not seem nervous around them, especially Lucifer.

"How many times have I asked you to not address me as ma'am but call me by my name Maria?" I chuckled subconsciously as I repeated what I told her countless times.

"And how many times have I told you to not roam around barefoot in the house? You do know that Mr. Knight gets extremely worried if you get hurt..right?" she pointed towards my feet and scolded me playfully along with a chuckle of her own, clearly reminding me of the incident when I accidentally hit my bare foot against the leg of the study table.

"But why were you sounding so nervous?" I asked her remembering the way she sounded anxious when she came, while putting on my slippers.

"Ohh.. I completely forgot about that..actually there's someone at the door, and I am not sure as to how to deal with it." she replied while walking down the stairs.

"Deal with it!?" a confusion laced chuckle unwillingly escaped my lips at her reply.

Throughout my stay here, never once has anyone visited this house, which was obvious by what I had observed; but more than that what Asher told me about Lucifer. But still, I never thought of a guest visiting to be such a big issue.

"Who is she? Do you know her?" I looked at the monitor of the camera installed outside the main metal gates and then at Maria.

"Cyra Dolivo. She-" before Maria could continue, Brandon, the guard at the gate called again via intercom.

"Maria, did you ask ma'am about what should we do?" he asked, making me more confused than I already was.

How does my permission hold importance in this case? I don't even know her! What if she is someone important? A business associate? Friend? But as far as I have observed, Lucifer has only Asher who qualifies to be called as his friend. But then? His girlf-

Thankfully before I could presume the thought that I subconsciously knew would hurt me the most, Maria interrupted my train of thoughts, bringing me back from my trance.

"Ma'am?"

"Huh?" startled by the sudden interruption, I looked at her dumbfounded, but thankfully gained my composure immediately.

"But how can I decide whether or not to allow her inside the house? I don't know anything about her." I reasoned.

"You can! Because Mr Knight has given clear orders to each and every staff here; to allow a guest inside the mansion in his absence, only if you permit, no matter how important that person is!" she cleared my doubt with a genuine motherly smile.

"But.." It was the only word that managed to come out of my mouth, apart from the huff of defeat that followed, because the sternness with which she told me about Lucifer's order made it clear that they would not be swayed be anything I say, no matter how much I reason.

So I did the only logical thing I could think of in that moment.. ask her to let the girl in.

I thought I did the right thing as Maria already knew who she was and also because I didn't want Lucifer or his business to suffer in any way, but to my surprise, Maria's reaction was completely unexpected.

Though she told the guard to let the girl in, she didn't seem satisfied with the decision I took.

"You don't like her?" I asked her, directing towards the door.

Clearly not wanting to voice her thoughts, Maria just gave a small smile as I knew she would, but the expressions on her face gave her away.

"Why?" as far as I had observed, Maria was not someone who would dislike someone for no reason, but this very fact was making me more and more curious.

But before I could ask her again, the ring of the doorbell interrupted us.

"You'll know!" she replied with a knowing smile, while walking towards the door to open it.

A/N

Hello my lovely readers. Thank you all for reading my book and for the love and support you have shown to it. Please like, vote and comment.

I hope you all will like this chapter too. Please do tell me what you think of this chapter. Your views mean a lot to me.

Love you all! Enjoy reading!