Chapter 26 "Back to square one"

Lucifer's P.O.V

"So basically we are back to square one!" Asher sighed defeatedly, bringing me back from my trance.

"In a way.. yes! But at least we now know whose heads to chop!" I looked at Asher, with a sly smirk making its way on my face.

"Both of them?" Asher asked in a casual yet deadly tone, a hint of fury evident in his voice. Before I could even response, he was already picking up his cellphone eager to order our men.

"Now we aren't that unreasonable and cruel, are we?" I asked with a non humorous chuckle and paused, as he raised one of his eyebrow with an amused yet knowing look plastered on his face.

"Fire Olivia from her job and make sure that she doesn't get any job, big or small, not only in this country but any country for that matter. Ahh.. and also don't forget to buy the place where she lives and send her the new deed of her house, with the increased rent; of course." I continued with a smirk on my lips.

"And as far as that Jasper is concerned.."I barely managed to control my fists to break something by the mere mention of that lowlife's name, but continued nonetheless, "Well.. he himself brought the devil's wrath upon him, so it can't be helped, right! Bring him here so I can personally have a talk with him."

"Talk?!" Asher chuckled.

"Of course. Just a talk! I will just make him understand that being a man doesn't give him a right to flirt with a girl and make her feel uncomfortable. He needs to learn that if a girl is not interested, he needs to back off. And since he already made a mistake by flirting with my angel and making her feel uncomfortable, so may be a little bit of punishment is rational, right?" I said in a low voice, but his chuckle made it clear that he heard everything clearly.

"He will be here in an hour". Asher informed looking at his cellphone, already ordering our men to bring that lowlife here.

"What about the second footage I told you about?" I asked.

"Right on it." Asher immediately started pressing some keys on the keyboard and within seconds the image on the screen changed into that of the cafe's exit and my angel came into view.

She was looking intently at the other side of the road, eagerness evident on her face. But before I could decipher what she was looking at, she tiptoed on her feet, and looked in the direction in which I went to get the car from the parking. 

But what bothered me was the hesitation on her face. Somehow my instincts were telling me that she wanted something, but as the shy and hesitant person she is, she was definitely over thinking again about her wishes.

'I still have a long way to go!' A defeated sigh escaped my lips involuntarily seeing that she was still not comfortable enough with me to tell her wishes, without second thoughts.

But my thoughts were cut short when the hesitation on her face was replaced by a small; firm and resolute smile, and she again glanced at the other side of the road. My eyes instantly followed her gaze and a small smile of my own formed on my lips seeing the source of her happiness.

An ice cream truck!

I again looked at my angel who excitedly took a step towards the truck and my smile grew bigger on its own. But the wide smile that was now gracing my face instantly turned into a frown by what I saw next.

She froze on her place and her skin seemed to lost its color completely. I could see myself running; scared, towards her on the screen, and just like my virtual self on the screen, I once again was clueless as to what happened.

I looked towards Asher in hope that he might have been able to catch something that my eyes could have missed, but he was as clueless as me. He already replayed the footage from a few minutes before, before I could even ask him to do so, and once again both our eyes were fixed on the screen to see anything suspicious.

But no matter how many times we replayed the footage, all I could see was random people walking past her or standing casually around her. More importantly, no one even tried to approach her or said something to her that could have triggered her panic attack and caused her to faint.

I frustratingly ran my hand in my hair and paced back and forth in the room. Anger and frustration were bubbling inside me at my failure. Neither was I able to keep my angel safe and happy, nor could I find the cause of her distress and panic.

 Absentmindedly, I punched the screen in front of me in hope to release some of my rage, but as expected it didn't help even a bit.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?" Asher shouted, running towards me. He held my hand and raised it to look at the knuckles that were now bloodied and pierced by multiple small shreds of glass. But as irritated as I was, I pulled my hand back harshly.

"It's nothing. I have been through much worse and who better than you can know that?!" I replied irritatingly.

"I know. I have seen you handling much worse injuries than this, and I certainly know that you are more than capable to bear many more brutal wounds in the future too.." he said pointing towards my knuckles and sighed but continued nonetheless.

"But that all was before Angela came into your life. Have you even thought of what would you tell her about the reason of your injury if she asks, which I am sure she will" He yelled.

"It definitely wouldn't have been a problem for your old self, but you also know that the only person whom you can't lie to; about anything... is her" He completed.

I opened my mouth to oppose or more accurately; defend myself, but immediately closed my mouth as he cut me off.

"Don't you dare try to say that it's not like that. I have been with you for the last thirteen years and know you much better than even yourself. I have seen the changes..I have felt the changes in you, since kiddo came back in your life. You can't lie to her!" he said with certainty in his voice, emphasizing the last part.

At any other point I would have countered, but deep down, I knew that whatever he said was true to the core. I raised my hand to look at my knuckles but suddenly a loud and sharp ping caused my gaze to direct from my hand towards Asher.

"Jasper has been brought to the basement!" He said looking at his cellphone.

"Finally!" I murmured and a smirk subconsciously formed on my lips. I quickly stepped out of the room towards the elevator with Asher and pressed the button for basement.

A/N

Hello to all my lovely readers. Thank you so much for all the love and support you have shown to my novel. Please like, vote and comment.

Enjoy reading!! Love you all!!