Funerals & Notes (17)

|| Sam's POV ||

I heard my phone ringing, and my eyes snapped open. I sat up in bed, and Ian continued to sleep peacefully.

I took my phone into the bathroom, and answered it.

"Hello?" I croaked into the phone.

"Samantha, I have some news for you." My aunt sounded different, like something was wrong.

"What?" I rested my arm on the counter, yawning a bit.

"Your parents... their funeral is today." She spoke quickly, like she was nervous to hear my reaction.

I froze, unable to speak. My body was glued to the floor.

"Samantha?" My aunt said quietly.

"Yeah... what time is it?" The words finally came into my head, but I was shaking so much that I could barely speak them.

"It starts at noon. You can bring some people if you want."

"Ok, I guess i'll see you then..." I trailed off, tears forming in my eyes.

I hung up, and returned to the bedroom. Ian was now awake, and saw me, and my now tear covered face. He stood up, and walked over to me.

"What's wrong?" He hugged me, and I buried my face into his chest.

"My parents funeral is today."  I spoke as I pulled away from him, wiping away my tears.

He looked at me, his eyes full of shock.

"Today?" He said, raising his eyebrows.

I nodded, and started walking towards my closet. I searched for my black dress, and pulled it out. I hadn't worn it since my grandpa's funeral, which was years ago.

We only had a few hours, it was already 10. I rushed into the bathroom, and took a shower. I quickly dried and styled my hair, and then slipped my dress on. I walked back out to the bedroom, and asked Ian to zip up the dress. He smiled, and agreed. I moved my hair out of the way, and felt goosebumps cover my entire body as he zipped it up.

I went back into the bathroom, and put on a little bit of makeup. I didn't like wearing it, but it was for my parents.

Ian had told everyone else about what was going on, and they all agreed to go with us. We took 2 cars, since we all couldn't fit in one.

In my car, it was Ian, Me, Becca and Anthony. In the other car there was Rachel, Shane, Karen, and Greg. We got there a bit early, and I took a few breaths before getting out of the car.

We all stepped inside, and saw something that brought tears to my eyes.

There were pictures everywhere. All of them of our family. Mostly of me.

There was my first Halloween, in my elephant costume. Then my first Christmas, in my tiny dress that was still in my mom's closet. There were group pictures too, like at family occasions.

I wiped away the tears that were falling down my face as I looked at the pictues, they brought back too many memories. Ian wrapped his arm around my waist, and I looked up at him.

He used his free hand to wipe away my tears, and I tried my best to paste a smile onto my face.

"It's ok Sam, everything will be just fine."

That's when I broke down. I grabbed his arm, and started speed walking towards the bathroom.

"What the hell-" I cut him off, starting to yell.

"I can't be here! It is making me go insane, knowing that they're gone. They'll never get to see me graduate, or get married, or have my first kid! My poor kids are going to ask where their grandparents are, and i'll have to tell them that they're dead and-"

Ian then cut me off by pressig his lips against mine. I felt my anger and sadness slowly melt off, and my face becoming less red with rage.

He pressed his forehead against mine, and I stared into his eyes.

"All that doesn't matter right now. All that matter is what is happening right now."

I continued to look at him, wondering how he made me feel this way. He could change my mood in an instant, from anger and pain to happiness and bliss in just a moment.

"Do you think you can go out there now?" He looked at me with concern deep in his eyes.

I nodded, and brushed off my dress. We both left the bathroom, and headed to where the speeches were going to be given.

"I'd like to welcome you all today, for this event. Normally we would have all the speeches at this time, but we only have time for one. From the daughter of the couple that we have come to bury today. "

My head snapped up.

I was making a speech?

"Samantha, please come on up." My aunt stepped down from the podium, and I stood up shakily.

I was freaking out on the inside, but somehow keeping cool on the inside. I fiddled with my necklace, before looking up at the crowd before me.

There was my family on one side, and then on the other side, friends. My parents friends, and all of my friends. My eyes landed on Ian, and he smiled at me.

I gulped, and started my speech.

"Hi." I contemplated on what to say, and tried not to freak out as I saw all eyes staring at me.

"As you all know, i'm Samantha. My parents were amazing people. Although sometimes I hated them, I will always love them." I glanced over to see my cousins whispering to eachother, and then returned to speaking.

"You never quite understand how much someone means too you until they are gone. You don't feel the true pain of heartbreak until they have disappeared from your life. Even if it is for just a brief moment, or forever."

I had flashbacks to when I saw Ian on the floor, his body cold. My heart had been shattered, and then the pieces stepped on over and over again.

"I hope you can all remember my parents as lively people, happy souls now at peace." I quietly bowed, and some people clapped. I heard my aunt start talking about the burial, so I made my way back over to my friends.

Suddenly, a note appeared in my hand. I opened it, and saw the familiar handwriting.

Youre parents death, it was not an accident. You must watch your back, and remember to never take off the necklace.

They're coming for you.

Grace