SIX

I woke up some time later as the car flew down the road, momentarily disoriented and not remembering my whereabouts or the situation I'd just endured. Quickly, recent events slammed into my consciousness, nearly knocking the wind from my lungs. I remembered the desperate look on my family's faces as I left. If I weren't so utterly numb, I knew those looks would level me. Either way, the memories would be enough to haunt me for some time, possibly forever.

Some birthday.

"I never expected you to come back to Blood Moon with a mate." Drue said to Kohl, interrupting my inner monologue.

I couldn't see either of their faces as I kept my eyes closed, head leaning against the window praying to fall back asleep.

Maybe I could sleep through the rest of my life.

I wasn't stupid, I knew eventually the shock and numbness would end, and when that happened the gaping hole left by the loss of the closest six people to me all at once would most likely render me permanently useless. I wanted nothing to do with them. They were dead to me. Yet, I couldn't mourn them. I'd never felt so cold, so utterly empty in all my life.

"Me either, honestly. I just thought we'd give Atwood the meeting out of professional courtesy and then go back home. Maybe even stop and have some fun on the way back." Kohl replied, chuckling darkly.

"Mm, fun. I don't think you'll be having that type of fun ever again my man. I know Candy will sure miss the tips down at Rocky Boulders." Drue said, chortling loudly.

"Keep it down! You'll wake her." Kohl whispered.

"I'm awake. And don't worry, boys. God forbid I stop either of you from being the generous patrons the girls down at the seedy strip joint know you to be." I muttered monotonously.

Drue laughed again. "I like her. I like you, Lux."

"Thanks." I replied dryly. As I took in the surroundings I realized this no longer looked like Rosewood, or anywhere I'd seen before in my life.

"How long was I out?"

"About ninety minutes." Kohl replied.

"Yeah, we should be approaching home within the hour."

I snorted.

Home.

I don't have one of those anymore. No family, or friends either.

"You'll like Blood Moon. Everybody's cool and with your sarcasm you'll fit right in." Drue offered.

The car faded into silence after I declined to reply.

Is this what depression feels like? This never ending pit of nothingness? I can't imagine ever liking anything again. That implies you care. And caring? I'd never be dumb enough to do that again.

"We'll be happy with mate." Aurora piped up.

Oh great, peppy obsessed cheerleader is back.

I rolled my eyes at the unwelcome intruder. Before I could snarkily reply to the voice in my own head I noticed buzzing coming from the floor beneath me where my stuff was. I reached down into the side zipper pocket of the duffels and retrieved my phone.

100 missed calls.

30 Text messages from Mom.

25 Text Messages from Dad.

40 Text messages in LRW4Ever.

20 Text messages in AnnoyingAssTwins.

As I was reading the long list of notifications shown on my phone screen it buzzed once again. I clicked the banner that dropped down previewing the newest text message.