THIRTY-EIGHT

Lochland tried to speak but Kohl interrupted quickly.

"I may not like...whatever this is...but I get the sense that it's permanent. It's better for the pack that the Delta and Luna to support each other anyway." Kohl stated tersely. "Not to mention, we really have bigger issues right now."

I uncomfortably recalled waking up in the forest with no memory of recent events.

Yes, for the moment there were definitely larger concerns.

Lochland nodded, remaining silent. I could feel how off-kilter he was due to our recent commingling in one another's consciousness.

Kohl left, heading for the packhouse without a backwards glance. Drue waited quietly, the wheels of his brain obviously still turning. I had no clue what it meant for us. How much more drama could my life unfold, and when would Drue begin to be affected by the mess? I could barely keep up as it was.

"Go ahead, I'll catch up." I said to Drue.

"Hey."

Lochland stood in front of me, smiling down at me conspiratorially, like he was caught doing something naughty.

"Am I about to get in trouble? Feels like I'm in the principal's office right now. Are you gonna give me a spanking?"

I laughed, grateful that he had broken the tension. "I should. Why'd you challenge me like that?"

"I was confused. It almost felt like a mate bond and no offense but I have no interest in being a third party in your shit-show love triangle with Kohl and Drue. But, I don't think that's what we are. Do you?"

"Not quite. Which leads me to the big white elephant in the room. Why do our wolves look like fucking siblings."

"That's a little more complicated. Traditionally, white wolves have a long history. They are extremely rare and are almost always gifted wolves with special abilities. I've never heard of more than one in an entire family tree. I've gathered through research that white wolves are always born at times when our entire species is greatly threatened by an upset in the balance of nature."

"Let's say that's true. The two of us showing up here in the same pack at the same time is a very bad omen then, isn't it?"

The weight of the tension in his body hit the bond way before it became evident in his posture.

"Logically...yes. Let's continue this inside so I can grab some clothes. Hopefully, we can still catch dinner. " I nodded and we walked towards the packhouse in silence.

Mentally I recapped the day.

Witches are a thing, and they have a very real vendetta against Kohl, my mate, and by extension me. Lochland and I are both rare white wolves whose very existence means bad fucking times ahead. And I, a brand new wolf, am Luna of an entire pack by the luck of the draw-or lack thereof. It was starting to seem like the pack was doomed by my presence before I'd even begun leading it.

Whether or not I was in a relationship with Kohl, the burden of nurturing the pack grew by the second. I still felt as if I owed them, they were good people. They didn't deserve all the chaos I'd brought into their lives. And no matter how I felt about my family, they'd never raised me to quit.

Lochland's naked ass woke me from my thoughtful trance as we got inside. You'd think he stalked through the living room like a spy, trying not to be seen, but none of them seemed ashamed of their nudity.

"I'm gonna grab some clothes. Wanna come? You can finally see my room." Lochland's meaning wasn't lost on me. I knew eventually I was in for the conversation of a lifetime about my situation with Kohl and Drue.