SEVEN

Lamp-posts flanked our path as we drove further into Kohl's territory. I could only imagine how much more beautiful it could be during the day. Houses on either side of the stone and gravel-filled drive set back a distance from the road drew my attention. They were each different yet all of them were homey and quaint. Though they were smaller than what I was used to, they seemed perfect for the serene environment they were in. Well tended flower boxes on country porches, and bountiful backyard gardens brought in bright pops of color to the perfectly green, lush land. It seemed like a place where kids were always playing, blissfully unaware of the beautiful life they had here.

This is supposed to be Kohl's pack?

Bright lights ahead illuminated a rather large building in the distance. We drove for almost five minutes before we got close enough for me to truly appreciate the grandiosity of the structure. A grey stone-faced lodge three stories tall stood on the land arrogantly. Lined all around with huge glass windows and decorative wooden beams it was gorgeous, I could imagine that it would look like a picture perfect postcard from Aspen when it snowed during the winter.

We pulled into the semi-circular drive in front of the building where another two large men were standing. Because they were right under the lamps that hung on the face of the building I could see that their attractive features were rigidly neutral. Set jaws and stiff posture indicated military and like the rest of the men of Kohl's pack they were extremely good looking and fit.

Is living in this place some sort of a lottery system based on good genes?

As we slowed to a stop in front of the doors the two men finally looked at the vehicle and marched towards our car. A living ken-doll opened my door in sync with the guard who opened Kohl's. It was as rehearsed as the routine of doormen at a prestigious hotel. He extended his arm behind himself ushering me out of the vehicle. I stepped out with a small 'Thank you.' He nodded briefly and grabbed my duffels while I was rooted to the spot, intimidated by both his looks and his affect.

"Uh, I can take those." I offered shyly.

"I've got it ma'am."

Okay..?

I was puzzled by the royal treatment we were receiving. Even when I thought my father was the Mayor of our town we weren't coddled when we went out as a family. But maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention, I had clearly missed a lot.

I couldn't help but feel out of place. Trepidation kept me from barging in and slamming the door in Kohl's face like I'd fantasized about since my panic attack at the lake.

"This is the pack house where our warriors and unmated wolves live. I also live here overseeing the day-to-day with Drue and my Delta who you'll meet at some point. Our older wolves and mated pairs and families live on the outer edges you saw as we drove in. Come on, you must be tired." Kohl said before he, Drue and the man who was carrying my bags all walked into the building ahead of me. The other guard held open the door for us all. I offered him a shy smile to which I received a whopping nothing in return.

It's like they were all trained at Buckingham Palace or some shit.

As we entered the foyer the humongous living room spilled out ahead of me in every direction. Large plush sectionals with tons of blankets and throw pillows filled the space either facing the large TV screen or sliding glass doors that lead outside. The whole thing gave off the comforting familiar vibe of a common area in an upscale college dormitory. I could see out into the backyard area and although it looked empty I noticed water back there. It was beautiful, everything was. Overhead the railing of the second floor overlooked the large common room on all sides.