Fountain [chapter 23]

"How can two girls buy so many books?" Touya asked in amazement, holding two bags full of the things you and Fuyumi bought while in the book store.

"Sweetie, I would've bought a lot more if it weren't for Shoto," you turned around to look at Touya with a somewhat sassy look, "Anyways, are we going to buy Diana something or what?"

"I already did," Touya informed you, "You were taking too long in the book store, so I left Natsuo alone for a minute. Got her a necklace; she could probably sell it later for more money than what I bought it for."

"Aww," you cooed, "You're such a big softie! Especially when it comes to Diana."

"Shut it you little runt," Touya glared at you.

"You didn't deny it~" Shoto teased, a cheeky grin coming on his face though he quickly wiped it off when he remembered he was in the face of the public.

Touya kicked Shoto in the back of the leg, sending a harsh glare his younger brother's way. You and Fuyumi simply laughed, happily skipping around the small part of town you were in.

The crowds had died down. It was nice having room to breathe without someone asking you to hold their baby or kiss their hand or something. It was quiet— peaceful even as you walked through the streets.

Eventually, you found yourselves on the main roads, namely the center of town. You had emerged from an alleyway and saw a huge fountain and many people walking around the area. They were making grocery trips, running simple tasks and errands, talking about with their friends and everything a normal person would do.

"Mama, mama!" a girl pulled on her mother's dress, unintentionally bringing your attention to the pair.

They stood by themselves, the mother held a tightly woven basket with a few loaves of bread sticking out one end in one hand. The other she used to hold a small drawstring purse. From the noise it made whenever it was shaken, you assumed there was coins in there for the mother to buy groceries.

"Yes sweetie," the mother said with a sigh, her under eye bags making it apparent that she was exhausted.

"Can I have a coin to make a wish?" she asked, holding up her hand and using puppy dog eyes to further bait her mother into giving her the object she so badly wanted.

"Fine," the mother gave in without mush resistance, opening her drawstring pouch and taking out a coin. She handed the money to her daughter, watching as the young girl ran off towards the fountain.

Your eyes were focused on her as well, confused as to why she would ask for money to make a wish and then run to a fountain. It seemed peculiar to you; something you had never seen happen before. Then again, you never got to go into your own town back home.

"What is she doing?" you whispered to Shoto, pointing out the little girl you were talking about while pulling at the end of Shoto's shirt to get his attention easily.

The male's eyes followed yours, seeing the little girl you were talking about almost immediately. He took in what he saw: the coin, how she steadily approached the fountain, the smile on her face. He was quick to come to the correct conclusion on why she was going to the fountain with a coin.

"Well," Shoto turned towards you, "I assume she's going to make a wish at that fountain."

Your brows furrowed as you turned back towards him, "But how would you do that?"

Shoto stopped walking, making you and his other siblings stop as well. You stared at him in confusion. And before you knew it, he had wrapped you in a hug.

"I forget how horrible your childhood was sometimes," he mumbled, pressing his face into you hair. "You are a constant reminder that I should be grateful for my fucked up childhood. No matter how bad mine was, you always find ways to show me yours was ten times worse."

"What did she say this time?" Fuyumi asked.

"She doesn't know what making a wish at a fountain is or how it works," Shoto answered, still not letting go of you.

Fuyumi's and Natsuo's mouths fell open. Touya stared at you with an 'are you serious?' expression, his face flat and void of just about any emotions. He set down the bags he was holding, digging through his pocket and pulling out 2 coins.

Touya handed one to Fuyumi and the other two you. He cocked his head in the direction of the fountain, "Go show her that stupid wish crap."

Fuyumi nodded, grabbing your hand and pulling you away from Shoto. The other three boys were quick to follow after you, Touya picking the bags back up before walking after you.

Fuyumi took a seat on the edge of the fountain, patting the spot next to her in a gesture for you to sit beside her. You did as she wanted, waiting for her to explain how wishes, coins and a fountain all related to one another.

"The first thing you do is make a wish," Fuyumi started to explain, "But only say it in your head. If you don't, the wish won't come true. And make sure to close your eyes!"

You nodded, closing your eyes and thinking of a wish.

I wish I could kiss Shoto.

Your eyes slowly opened again as they connected with Fuyumi's. She was patiently waiting for you to give her some sign you had made a wish. You nodded her head, signaling for her to continue.

"Now, kiss the coin and throw it into the fountain," Fuyumi told you. She gave you an example by doing as she said and throwing her own coin in the water.

"Why would you do that? It seems stupid," you spoke honestly, "Why would you waist your money on such a thing?"

Shoto burst out laughing, finding your cluelessness funny in a way. "You have a point, but the reason you do it is for fun. I don't believe those wishes come true because you threw money in a fountain, but it's a fun thing to do."

"Oh," you replied blankly, looking back down at the coin in your hands. You sucked in a breath before planting a kiss on the coin and throwing it in. It pained you a bit to waste money like that, but it wasn't like it was the only money you had.

"And that's how you make a wish at a fountain," Fuyumi concluded, standing up and flattening out her dress.

"Where does that money end up going?" you asked once you and the rest of the Todorokis had started back up walking around the town.

"I think Enji uses them for money to pave streets and whatnot," Natsuo answered, "But only the wealthier areas. He couldn't care less about the areas commoners live."

"That's kinda messed up," you mumbled.

"What isn't messed up about that man— no boy?" Touya corrected himself.