King [chapter 39]

"Y/n," Shoto shook you lightly, trying for the umpteenth time to wake you up. His voice was soft, just like it always was when he chose to wake you up instead of leaving the dangerous task for Diana to do. However, Diana wasn't there, and even if she was he would've rather woke you up himself.

The hallway was somewhat cool, for summer that is. It was still just as quiet, most staff in the palace already asleep since it was the earliest hours of the morning. The only few that stayed awake were the doctors tending to the king's needs as well as the few others who had fucked up sleep schedules and went to bed at ungodly hours of the night.  They were the ones you'd sometimes run into through the hallways when you'd accidentally (and sometimes on purpose) stay in the library to read books, only to be kicked out by the librarian who really only ever wanted rest.

Which was almost impossible when you decided to go to the library... which was like every day.

"Go away," you mumbled, bringing up a hand and shoving Shoto's face away from you. This earned you a slightly muffled grunt. Then, you chose to quote words from Shoto himself, with a small twist, "Y/n is a princess, and princesses need beauty rest."

Shoto sighed, slamming his head down on your shoulder. This action caused pain to both parties, pained groans coming from the two of you in a synchronized sort of manner.

"Alright, alright," you grumbled, "I'm up."

Slowly blinking your eyes open and closed as your mind started to become fully conscious, you let out a deep sigh. The hard ground below you did help to wake you up further, the discomfort naturally pulling you out of your state of sleep. The weight of Nikos's head was still in your lap, and the warmth of Shoto's hand was still in yours. It couldn't have been that long since you'd fallen asleep.

"He woke up," Shoto spoke in a whisper sort of format, "Enji's already spoken to Rei and your father, but he requested to see the kids... minus Nikos."

The two of you looked down at the kid who was sleeping soundly in your lap, his face at peace. The blanket Shoto had once laid down on him in a gentle manner now had some of it wrapped around him snuggly while the rest was balled up in his hands. A small smile etched its way onto your features as you looked down at him.

Running your finger through his hair, you felt him lean into your touch. He mumbled some things that weren't clear before his smile widened and he shifted his weight around a bit.

Letting go of Shoto's hand, you used it to tenderly pick up Nikos's head and lay it down on another blanket which Shoto had been kind enough to lay on top of your legs while you slept for the few hours you did. You cautiously got up, staying still and watching Nikos for a moment to make sure he didn't wake up. Once you'd confirmed he was asleep, you looked over at Shoto with a small smile before letting him grab your hand and lead you off to the door.

Judging by the fact no one else remained in the hallway beside Nikos, you were able to assume they had all already gone inside and were just waiting for you and Shoto. This assumption was proven correct when you stepped inside the infirmary looking at the king who was laying with his backdown in a hospital bed.

It would be an understatement to say he didn't look well. Sweat was streaming down his face, completely drenching the shirt he had on while his skin was a paler shade than it normally would've been. His nose also seemed to be just a bit runny.

"What?" Natsuo asked in the most monotoned voice ever, seeming pissed that he even had to be in the same room as his father. It was understandable though considering all the shit he'd been put through. Of course he was cranky and his dad wasn't really the first person he wanted to see after waking up.

That remark earned him a dirty look from Fuyumi. He was lucky she was on the opposite side of the bed as him or else she would've shoved her foot up his a—

"I'm going to die soon," Enji replied bluntly, making Fuyumi's mouth fall open and Touya choke on his own spit. Natsuo's eyebrows just barely shot up and on the same side of the spectrum, Shoto's face remained blank but his grip on your hand did tighten just in the slightest bit.

Touya let out a low whistle, looking extremely awkward with the news he hadn't been prepared for, "So, uh— how has everyone's day been going so far...?"

"What?" Fuyumi furrowed her brows, closing her mouth while lightly hitting Touya as a small scolding for responding to that inappropriately. "But you were fine at dinner, what could possibly be wrong?"

Enji gave a small cough, "It's unknown. They've been doing tests on me for the past few hours, but the only thing they could figure out is my heart is pumping slower and slower with each passing minute."

"Ok?" Natsuo mumbled, not exactly knowing where this was going. (hey! that rhymed!)

"Touya," the king turned towards his eldest son, "I know I've been harsh to you, and I am truly and deeply sorry for that. However, before I part, I'd like for you to know I am proud of you and know you'll be able to run the kingdom with no struggle."

The oldest Todoroki kid's eyes widened, having no clue this is where the conversation was headed. No way in hell as he taking the grand job of being king, he wasn't nearly qualified enough to rule, "No way. Can I pass it on to Fuyumi or something?"

The attention changed from Touya to Fuyumi who was now red in the face and shaking her head back and forwards as fast as humanly possible. She put both of her hands up to show she was declining the offer, "I would like to withdraw from my position and give it to the next person in line, Natsuo."

"I decline your kind offer and give it to Shoto instead," Natsuo responded. Even though he spoke in such a calm manner, he was very nervous about this whole thing. If Shoto turned in down, since you weren't technically in line for that throne, Touya would be absolutely screwed.

Every turned their attention to the youngest Todoroki who was looking down at his feet. He'd heard everything, and knew that if he said no it'd just go to Touya, which he'd hate him for completely. And if he said yes, which seemed like the only good option for everybody, he'd have to deal with things he was sure a teenager would know absolutely nothing about.

What if he messed up? Would he ruin all the connections his ancestors had made throughout time? Is he going to make his kingdom the laughing stock of all other kingdoms? What if—

You squeezed his hand with a small but warm smile, your eyes showing nothing but kindness and patience. The smile on your face got a bit wider when you saw Shoto look at you from the side of his. At that moment, the rings that showed your engagement placed on both your left hands started to feel colder out of nowhere.

That's right, he had you. If anything went wrong you'd help, and his siblings would too if things really went to shit. You'd keep him sane, and you'd be the one to help him through everything. 'Til death do you part.

"I accept."