Royally Arranged [chapter 40]

Slipping past one of the many butlers and maids in the hallways, you moved to Fuyumi's room with a wide smile on your face. The workers in the castle were all doing their own specific jobs with heavy haste, not once stopping as they tried to get everything done within their certain timeframe.

Pushing open the door to the princess's room, you slipped inside and lightly shut it behind you. When getting a better look, you were met with Diana helping Fuyumi put on jewelry while she had her hair pinned up and a smile on her face. Fuyumi saw you come in her room from the reflection of her mirror, a larger smile making its way onto her face.

"You excited?" she asked, moving her head to look at you when she knew Diana was done putting on the necklace. She wasn't wearing her glasses but instead a pair of contacts to make her "prettier".

You faced your palms upwards and shrugged, tilting your head to the side a bit to lean on your shoulder slightly, "Yeah, but I'm also so nervous. I mean, practically the whole kingdom plus some are going to be here. If I mess up, I'm going to be embarrassed for life."

"Don't worry about it, y/n," Diana laughed, turning to you with one of the kindest smiles you've seen. "It's only like the most important day of your life. Nothing to be scared about!"

"Seriously Diana?" Fuyumi spike in a flat voice, giving her a deadpanned look.

"Y/n!" a very familiar voice you'd grown up with called out for you from the hallway. Two pairs of quick footsteps were heard from the other side of the door, small chatter coming from the two individuals as they approached the door they'd seen you disappear into.

Mealonie and Emily came through the doors with their most formal dresses on, both of them still having yet to style their hair.

Emily looked you up and down with the most pure smile you'd ever seen, "Nikos told me to tell you not to screw up."

This earned a light laugh out of you. Of course it was only jokes, and you knew this, but in a way it did sort of make you a little nervous. I mean as Diana said, it was only like the single most important day of your life...

Turning your eyes over to Mealonie who you noticed was looking at you with an adoring smile. Her eyes had gotten more watery the longer she stared at you.

"Gosh, you've grown so much," Mealonie's voice cracked at the end, her smile becoming wider when she saw you give the most genuine one she'd ever seen. "I remember just yesterday you were barely able to speak properly, and now here you are— I hope you know your mother would be proud of you."

"Thank you," you mumbled, looking down at the ground to avoid eye contact as you had gotten a little embarrassed.

There was a moment of silence, all the other women watching you with peaceful looks. And then Rei came into the room with a neutral expression on her face and fully dressed for the formal event taking place real soon.

"The doors are opened," Rei informed everyone. "Please take your seats ladies."

"Oh my goodness," your mind started to race with thoughts, all of them being things that could possibly go wrong. "Don't leave me. I will go insane all on my own!"

"You're just getting married," Fuyumi joked with a nonchalant wave. "It's not that big of a deal..."

The few girls in the room giggled, covering their mouths to hide their amusement of your stressed out state. But you weren't really stressed, and they knew that. That's why they were laughing.

"I'll stay back. You ladies go ahead," Mealonie let out a fake yet exaggerated sigh as she shooed the other ladies away. They snickered, following Mealonie's orders and leaving to go take their seats while the maid that you'd known since forever stayed back.

She gave you another kind smile, "You know there's nothing to be nervous about, right? This Shoto guy is kind of in love with you. Even if things don't go completely as planned, you're still getting married to the person you love, are you not?" She took a pause to let you answer, continuing when she saw you give a small nod, "Then stop being all worried and just marry that sucker. Oh, sorry. Your majesty."

"Mealonie please—" you rolled your eyes playfully.

"What?" she stretched the word out as her eyes widened just a bit. "Am I wrong?"

"Technically, no. But you potty trained me, so I'd like to think we're on better terms than you just being my maid."

Mealonie shrugged, "Whatever you say goes, your highness."

"Mealonie, if you don't stop—" you couldn't help but grin at the maid who continued to tease you for your title as well as social standing compared to hers. It was all fun and games. Mealonie knew more about you than you knew about yourself. No doubt about it, she was your best friend.

"In all seriousness though," Mealonie cleared her throat, "you actually love that man?"

You paused, not because you had to think about the answer but more so in disbelief that it wasn't obvious that you genuinely loved him. "Yes. Yes I do."

"Guess this arranged marriage didn't turn out as bad as we thought it would, huh princess?" Mealonie snickered. "For once, the king actually did something to benefit you. Arranged to be married to another royal."

You nodded, grabbing two champagne glasses that were filled with water instead of alcohol. Handing one to Mealonie, you raised yours in the air and watched as she did the same. "Royally arranged."

"Royally arranged," Mealonie repeated, mimicking the nod you did just a few seconds prior. The two of you clinked glasses before taking a swig of the water in the glasses that definitely did not belong to either one of you.