Chapter 2

Sam found Brennen in the backyard. He'd shed his clothes in a trail of casualties and jumped directly into the pool. Brennen resurfaced from his most recent dunking just as Sam made it out to the edge of the pool. There was still color high in his cheeks, but he seemed more with it. Sam was grateful for that. "Hey," Sam said by way of greeting, settling down at the pool edge, puling his jeans up, and kicking his feet in.

"Yo," Brennen said, treading water and taking deep breaths. He sniffed in through his nose, grimaced, and splashed water over his face. "Fuck, I swear his fucking scent is stuck in my nose, I can't get rid of it...". He dunked his head back under the water.

Sam sighed, taking a couple of deep breaths of the humid outside air. He thought he could still smell Colby, even all the way out here. But then, that might just be Colby's scent settled over the back porch. Not this new... omega heat scent.

God, Colby was an omega...

"He okay?" Brennen asked quietly, when he surfaced again. "I felt bad to run out of there but... fuck, if I stayed in that room for one more second..."

"I fucking get that. Shit, those omega pheromones..." Sam groaned, pressing his face into his hands. He'd thought that not jumping Kat during his ruts was hard. Smelling that fucking omega heat scent... "Shit, Brennen, that sucked for me and I'm fucking mated. I don't... shit..." He sighed, "I don't know how you did it but I am so fucking glad you had enough control to not jump him. Just fucking..." He shook his head, running his hands through his hair, "So glad you didn't."

"I wanted to..." Brennen shook his head, punching the water, "My fucking Alpha was just like, "You can fucking do it. He's right there!"" Brennen let out a noise of frustration. "God, I sound like a fucking knothead..."

"I mean, I'd be lying if I said the same thought didn't go through my head," Sam said woefully, and he knew it was his physiology, his second gender, but he still felt awful to admit it when Katrina was still upstairs helping Colby.

He'd have to talk to her about this later.

"Shit..." Brennen muttered, staring at the water. A thought seemed to occur to him and he looked at Sam, "Dude, what the fuck was up with Tara asking if I would fuck him?"

Sam had almost forgotten about that, "Oh fuck, yeah..." His brain turned back to that strange conversation. "It was really weird," He agreed, "And Tara's like super Omega Power, Like, "I don't need no Alpha" shit. I would have thought..." He shook his head. "Would have thought she would be the last person to suggest he grab the nearest unpaired Alpha."

Brennen looked pained, but he agreed. "Same," As the only omega in their friend group, Tara was almost fiercely defensive of her second gender and her insistence that it didn't matter that she was an omega.

The old ways of omega subjugation were very still alive in America, but things were getting better. Unfortunately, there were still asshole Alpha knotheads who thought they were entitled to any female or omega (especially omegas). And worse, the extremists who thought that breeding was all that omegas were good for.

And that was when Sam realized that this would be the reality that Colby would be facing. Because now Colby was an omega. And if Sam and Brennen had a hard time fighting off jumping him... Sam didn't want him anywhere near anyone else who wouldn't have the same moral qualms. Secondary genders weren't a majority of the population, maybe thirty-five percent, but that was still a lot of people. And a lot of potential threats to Colby.

Fuck...

"I'd never actually smelled an omega in heat before..." Brennen admitted quietly. "I always thought the stories were exaggerated. Like, the effects they had on Alphas."