Chapter 18

Something was off.

Sam couldn't quite put his finger on it. Albeit his body was still buzzing faintly in the aftermath of the sex that had him supporting his weight over Kat, the two of them tied together as his anatomy dictated, so his brain wasn't really functioning at all cylinders.

Kat was still panting under him, her hands, which had been previously wrapped up in his hair, dropping to push her own hair back from her face.

But instead of the pleasant afterglow that usually came after sex... they instead felt just a little off kilter.

Sam thought back to the conversation that had happened when they left the trap house earlier:

They'd hardly sat down in the car before Kat demanded hotly, "What the fuck was that?"

Sam didn't even start the car.  He just closed the door and gripped his hair with his hands.  "I don't... I don't even fucking know, I don't..."

"You've never lost control."

"I know, I know, I..."

"Like even during your first rut..."

"I know..."

"And that was me and this is Colby..."

"Fuck, I know..."

"Why now? Why him? What the fuck, Sam?"

"I don't know!" He was shouting it before he was even fully aware of it.  Kat jumped a little bit at his tone, but she didn't seem actually angry at him, more just... bewildered and shocked.  Scared, overwhelmed.  "I don't... I don't know..." he said, more quietly this time, hand coming up to rub at where he could still feel the indentations of Kat's teeth in his neck.

Katrina noticed his motions, apology coming over her face.  "I'm sorry I bit you... and handcuffed you," She added quickly, "We couldn't get through to you any other way."

Sam winced at the still tender spot, but dropped his hand.  "What the fuck did I even do?" He asked quietly, because she wouldn't have bit him, wouldn't have restrained him unless she felt like she had to.

Kat sighed, pushing her hair behind her shoulders.  "You were... you remember grabbing his throat?" She asked.

Sam winced.  The memory was draped in hormone induced fuzziness, but he still remembered grabbing the omega's throat.

Colby's throat.

Kat took his nod and continued.  "So at first, Jake pulled you back and I grabbed Colby," she started, "But you fought him. I mean like, kinda scary Alpha growling and stuff... he was trying to get through to you, but... you kept trying to get to Colby."

"For how long?" This was where his memory got really fuzzy.

Kat shrugged, not looking at him.  "I dunno... a minute or two?" Sam frowned, looking down.  "You uh... you tried to bite Jake.  That was when I bit you."  She looked back at him, "Sorry, again."

Sam shook his head.  "I uh... I'm not... I'm not upset about that..."

Kat nodded, her hands pressed into her lap.  "So... so I bit you, and then Jake was a little paranoid so he wanted to, you know, use the handcuffs so..." Kat's face still was dark.  "I just..." She looked at him imploringly.  "Sam... what the hell happened?  You've never had this issue before."

Sam shook his head.  "I don't know," he repeated for what felt like the tenth time.  "I thought... like I smelled him at first and I realized that I needed to go, but then he like..." he searched through the memory for what he might have been thinking.  Problem was... he hadn't been.