thirty-three

7 Years Ago

It was ten in the morning when Chaeyoung heard the alarm clock go off in her ear. She went to reach for the thing making all that noise on her day off. It wasn't until her hand was on her alarm that she realizedit wasn't going off. In her half asleep daze she rolled over and cuddled further into the pillow. She faintly heard the shower start in the background as she drifted back to sleep.

If she wasn't so half asleep she may have shed a couple of tears. She missed waking up with her girlfriend next to her, to her there was no better feeling than rolling over and getting as close to her girlfriend as she could. She knew that leaving had been her decision but there were days when med school wasn't worth waking up alone.

A noise in her ear made her wake up slightly once again. The sound of a kissing noise, that's what it was she realizedas she heard the noise again. She tried to form a coherent word but nothing came out. "Mmm," was all she managed causing her girlfriend to laugh a little.

"I have to leave but get some rest baby and enjoy your day off."

"Mhmm," so much for those words.

"I love you."

Chaeyoung smiled as the butterflies started flying around in her stomach. "Mhmm, love you." At least that's what she hoped she had said but it was hard to really know for sure. She heard Lisa laugh and she was once again reminded why she loved the other woman so much. It was the little things like the sound of her laugh, and the way that without fail if Chaeyoung was still in bed by the time Lisa got up she always said I love you before she left. Even if she was unsure if it was falling on deaf ears. Chaeyoung didn't even know when it started until she was woke up once morning, she stayed silent and listened to her girlfriend get ready and that's when she had heard it for the first time. There was no better feeling than knowing just how much someone truly loves you. Especially when you catch them saying something you may or may not have been supposed to hear.

All she knew in the midst of being ninety percent asleep was that this, this was true love. The kind of love that is spoken about in movies and books, the kind that will last forever.

XOXO

"Hello." Lisa answered her phone as she stood in line at her normal coffee shop.

"Sup fool."

Lisa rolled her eyes as she ordered her coffee. "You realize you're from Laguna right Ray?"

Jisoo laughed on the other end of the line. "Yeah I know, I'm channeling my inner surfer."

"And more stereotypes." Lisa laughed as she mouthed a thank you to the barista and sat down at a window seat. "What is really up Sooya? Not that I don't love talking to you."

"Bitch I have been one of your best friends since preschool and I didn't dismember you when you broke my best friends heart into a million little shards, so if I want to call you at midnight for no reason at all I will."

Lisa sipped her coffee as she relaxed into the chair. "You're so sweet to me but we don't have phone chats."

"When are you going to tell Chaeyoung you want her babies?"

"What?"

"Do you want me to say it in Spanish? I thought you were some brilliant lawyer and CEO?"

Lisa was genuinely confused for a minute but it didn't take her much longer to figure it out. "She told you."

"Of course she told me, I'm her best friend. She tells me everything, so now it's your turn. Make the move Lisa, you'll never know if you don't try."