Chapter 6 - A Gift

May 12th, 845, one day before the expedition.

Survey Corps Headquarters (Inside Wall Maria)

Your POV

A little over a month has passed since the trio joined the Corps. We've grown close together, especially Levi and I. Mike has also grown a liking to them, he admired their camaraderie and devotion to protecting each other.

Today was the first day off I've had in the past two weeks. I felt bad because I couldn't hang out with the trio has much as I could have before. After our first training day together, I offered to teach them proper martial arts. Farlan and Levi were exceptional at kicks and punches, but their fighting experience was ineffective against my headlocks, throws, and pins. Isabel was amazing at dodging, but couldn't throw a punch to save her life. They all learned quick, and soon they were becoming masters themselves.

Levi and I currently have a competition on who can win the most one-on-ones. Currently I'm at 26 wins, and he's at 19 wins. I rub it in his face has much as I can.

Another thing I've been helping them with is reading and writing. Since proper education is so difficult to obtain in the Underground, none of them knew how to read or write well. I organized teaching lessons to be taught between Hange and I. At the beginning, I had to personally hand write all their textbooks in simple terms. Everything in the Corps library was too advanced for their skill levels. They were more than grateful that I helped them out, and did it secretly so the other cadets wouldn't find out and judge them.

In return for all my help, Levi and Farlan taught me how to properly use a knife. My parents taught me some advanced skills, but I'm better with hand-to-hand combat. Levi's knife skills on the other hand are unmatched to anything I've seen before. Currently, I've only won two knife fights out of fifteen against him, and he does not let me forget it.

I groan as my feet hit the cold wooden floor, I wanted to sleep in but I knew even on my day off I still had some work to do. I don't have to dress in uniform so instead I throw on a dark green low-cut sleeveless top and tuck it into a pair of black joggers. I switched out my navy blue compression sleeve for a black one to match my pants, even at night I sleep with it on. After washing my face I stare at myself in the mirror. Wow, I look like crap. Dark circles hung underneath my eyes, my complexion looked paler than normal, and wrinkles started to form on my forehead.

With the upcoming expedition, Erwin had us working around-the-clock for the last two weeks. Being a second-in-command meant that I had to attend every meeting Mike did so I knew what to do in case something happened to him. I also had to attend all the medic classes and meetings, standard cadet training, and working out to stay in shape. On top of it all, I still had all my private lessons with the trio. With a tired sigh, I brush my hair and make my way to the cafeteria.

I sit at my usual spot, reading my medical textbook and eating. In two weeks I have my exam, and I can become an official medic. I was lost in my reading that I didn't even notice the three sit down next to me until Levi nudged me.

"Hey bookworm, your food is getting cold."

"Huh? Oh shit, I forgot about my food." 

"Are you okay? You look shittier each day, you're not even dressed in uniform."

I give Farlan the middle finger before clearing my throat, "Thanks for pointing that out, I haven't noticed" I replied in a sarcastic tone. "But in all seriousness I have been super busy and stressed out with the planning, studying, and training. Also, Erwin gave me and the other second-in-commands the day off since we had to attend all those meetings on top of our training." I bury my face in my hands, rubbing my temples.