Chapter 21 - The File

Aimilios: (eh-MEE-lee-aws) Typically a boy's name derived from the Greek language meaning strength and rivalry. Usually seen as a formal and serious name in the upper class.

Mid-June

Day of the 24th Expedition

Your POV

My eyes flutter open to the hot summer sun peaking through my windows. Looking over to the clock I see I don't have to be up for another hour. "Ugh." I throw the blanket over my head, last night I slept terrible. For some reason our argument kept replaying in my head. It was a relatively short disagreement, so why does it bother me so much?

Maybe it's the fact that I know a lot more about him than he thinks. How am I supposed to tell Levi that I know almost everything about his family history and the fact he was practically raised by Kenny? From what I can tell, Kenny is a sore subject because Levi has never mentioned him, not once. Not only that, but his suffering was brought on by my descendants. 

When he stormed out I couldn't help but feel sad. It was nice when he stayed over, even if he was just sleeping on my couch. I felt comforted knowing he was just outside my door.

I groan and get up, I can't fall back asleep so I may as well get ready. As I shower I stretch out my limbs and try to relax. My nerves these past few days have gone down, I'm not too worried about my secret getting out. If Kenny didn't know what happened to my family, than it's most likely that Reiss didn't order the hit, which was my first guess. All the trafficking businesses my family owned are now run by local gangs. As far as everyone knows, the (L/N) family is no more, they're all dead.

My name is (Y/N) Johansen. I grew up in a secluded forest outside of Shiganshina to a hunting family. My dad served in the Garrison and died when I was 10. My older brother died from a hunting accident. My mom died from pneumonia a year ago. This is my life and has always been my life. 

Everything's fine, I should be fine. Right?

-----

Trost District

Approximately Noon

We all sat on our horses, wagons ready, prepared to venture out into the land some used to call home. But that land has now fallen to the mercy of the titans, forcing us into further submission. 

Erwin is situated front and center, with Hange and Mike to his left and right. I'm behind their squads, with Levi to my right. All morning he's been ignoring me unless it's work related and refuses to make eye contact. I wanted to ask him how he is feeling before this expedition, considering what happened last time. 

But all I got was a "I feel fine."

Copenhagen trots in place and lets out a whine of impatience, I pat his head reassuringly. The Garrison soldiers shout to each other, and the sound of a metal crank and stones rubbing together signals the rise of Trost's gate. I watch as dirt falls from the bottom of the gate and a gust of wind blows across the rows of Scouts. And just like that, we start our 24th expedition.

Other than some titans gathered around the wall, we haven't seen many on our ride so far. We're about halfway to the city when Erwin tightened the formation so we could take a break. We stop at a small town along the river to give our horses and ourselves some rest. I'm quite proud of my team so far, together we took out five titans along the way, Levi and I each earning a solo kill.

I was brushing Copenhagen's mane when Erwin approached me, "(Y/N) can I speak to you in private?"

I bat my eyes at him, "Finally going to confess your love for me?"