Chapter 13 - Medical Leave

One Week Later

Shiganshina District, Jaeger Residence

Your POV

Staying with the Jaeger's for the past week has been such a nice change of scenery, Carla, Grisha, and the kids have really helped my mood. Even though I'm on "medical leave," I still help around the house with chores and such, no matter how much Carla protests. I've also been helping the kids with more self-defense techniques, it was the first thing they wanted to do when I came back. Unfortunately, I can't teach them anymore horseback riding because I left Copenhagen at HQ and took a carriage instead.

Today we decided to take a relaxation day at their favorite lake, it's summertime so they don't have any schoolwork, well except for Armin, he's always learning something. We lucked out today, it was a nice sunny day with minimal clouds in the sky and a cool breeze flited through the warm air.

"We made it!" Eren exclaimed as he ran to a small wooden swing that hung from one of the thicker branches of an oak tree.

The view was so serene. A spring-fed medium size lake sat at the bottom of a hill and a large oak tree loomed over a part of it. Daises and different colored wildflowers we're scattered across the luscious grassy plains.

I laid out a patterned blanket in a shaded section underneath the tree. Mikasa waddled over with a picnic basket and Armin sat down with his backpack. I looked over and saw Eren giggling has he swung back and forth on the rickety wing.

"Eren!" I called out, "Please be careful, that thing does not look sturdy."

He twists his upper body to face me, "Don't worry I'll be careful, Captain Johansen!"

I roll my eyes at him. When I first arrived, Eren bombarded me with questions about the scouts and what it's like beyond the walls. I told him as much as I could, but I had to leave out most details because well, my job can be very gruesome. When he found out I was promoted to captain, he almost fell out of his chair.

Grisha and Carla we're also very happy with me, but I could tell they we're worried about how me joining the scouts has influenced Eren. Eren and Carla ended up getting into a small argument about the topic over dinner a few nights ago.

Flashback

The five of us sat at the kitchen table eating dinner as usual, Carla made an amazing rotisserie chicken meal with vegetables.

Mikasa spoke up out of the blue, "Eren wants to join the scouts."

Grisha, Carla, and I turn our heads to him while he spits out his food, "What the heck Mikasa! I told you to keep it a secret."

Carla uses her stern, motherly voice, "Eren, why would you want to join the scouts? Do you know how many people get eaten on each mission? It's too dangerous, I will not allow it."

"Mom you can't control me forever, I've always wanted to be a scout, I want to be like Aunt (Y/N)."

This time I speak up in a stern voice, "Eren, I know how much this means to you, but you're too young to think about joining the military. Beyond the walls is very dangerous, I've lost countless of my comrades and even I got severely hurt on my last mission. Please, listen to your mother."

He looks down after I mentioned how I got hurt, and Carla gives me a warm smile as an indication to thank me for backing her up. Honestly the only reason I joined the scouts is because I have nothing left to lose, if I die out on the field, then so be it. At least I'll be serving humanity in a beneficial way and doing some good for once.