Chapter 17 - Dreams and Desires

Your POV

I am probably the dumbest (L/N) that has ever existed.

Or maybe the smartest, who fucking knows at this point.

While Hange and Levi stitched me up, I was coming up with a plan on how to gain more information on the titans and outside the wall without exposing myself. It's a total shot in the dark and can very likely end with me being executed if something goes wrong, but we need answers.

I was internally battling with myself the whole time. Do I risk every thing about my life for the greater good? Or do I keep my mouth shut and wait for some miracle? I promised Carla I would be there for the kids, I am technically their surrogate Aunt. I ended up deciding on risking it, as long as I play my cards right, I should be fine.

What sparked the idea for my plan was a conversation I had with Kenny a few years back.

Flashback

Kenny and I leaned against a carriage smoking a cigarette. I inhale the smoke, closing my eyes when I feel the light buzz from the nicotine in my head. Every since I left my family a couple years ago I picked up a bad habit of smoking and drinking.

One downside to having my family's modified bloodline is we were left with an incredibly high tolerance to substances. One fifth of whiskey barely gets me buzzed, so my bar tabs end up going through the roof. Nicotine however, that shit is awesome. I only need three cigarettes to feel something.

I inhale deeply one more time before throwing the butt on the ground and crushing it with my foot. "So why exactly are we in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with a royal?"

Kenny talks in his deep voice, "Lord Reiss wanted us to bodyguard his daughter Frieda while she visited a friend. What does it matter anyways? You're getting paid a decent amount of money to stand here and do nothing."

"Hey I'm not doing nothing. As we speak my heart is pumping blood to my whole body, my kidneys are making piss, and my colon is making shit."

He scoffs, "You're quite the lady, aren't you?"

I just hum in response and look over to Frieda. She is wearing an off white shirt, black pants, and a straw hat. At first glance you never would have though she is a royal descendant. Normally I hate those pompous assholes, all they do is shove food in their face and talk out of their ass while they just increase our taxes without solving any public issues.

But Frieda is different, she hates wearing fancy clothes and likes to spend time outside, not minding getting dirty. Currently she's reading with a blonde haired girl with bright blue eyes. They would giggle here and there, smiles spreading across their faces.

"Kenny, how did you end up so close with the royals? Are they aware you're an Ackerman?"

He deeply sighs and looks up to the sky. "Awhile ago I found out who was truly targeting our families. I went to kill him, but he ended up getting the upper hand. He had every chance to kill me, but didn't. Instead he apologized for how the Ackerman's were treated and offered me to be his personal body guard. That man was Uri Reiss, Rod Reiss's brother and Frieda's uncle."

Interesting, so the Reiss family, not the Fritz family, have been the ones calling the shots. I have noticed that the First Interior Military Police Squad spends a lot of time at the Reiss manor. No one knows the chain of command in that squad, they don't report to the Commander of the Military Police or the Premier, and they seem to have a free pass to do as they please.

"So then what makes the Reiss family so important?"

A hearty chuckle leaves his throat. "Unfortunately if I told you, I would have to kill you."