Chapter 19 - Old Friend

Survey Corps HQ (Inside Wall Rose)

Levi's POV

After (Y/N) left to go back to her office, I spent another hour just writing. I'm beyond grateful her and Hange are still helping me out. It's quite embarrassing really, I'm almost 30 and now I'm just learning how to properly read and write.

How pathetic.

She always tells me to stop worrying about it, that it wasn't my fault I grew up the way I did. But still, I feel almost inferior, almost like I'm less of a person.

Right now I'm sitting against a birch tree, journal in one hand and a pen in the other. I go to write another sentence but my hand starts to cramp up. I guess that's what happens when you write for hours straight after training all day.

The sun casts an orange glow across the sky as it descends into the horizon. I should probably head back, make rounds on the squad and check to see if (Y/N) needs anything.

The walk back was peaceful, mostly everyone was winding down for the night. I stop at the barracks and made sure everyone was accounted for before walking over to the main building. Finally I make it to her office and knock on the door a few times. 

No answer.

That's odd, even if she was in her bedroom or bathroom she would still call out. I knock a couple more times, a bit louder this time. "Hey Cap you in there? It's Levi."

Still no answer.

Maybe she went out again, or she's with Hange, they tend to hang out after work hours. I'm about to leave, but something pulls me back. I try the handle and I am surprised to see it's unlocked. The light from the hallway casts a shadow into her dark office as I slowly open the door. Walking in I call out her name and announce myself again.

Everything seemed undisturbed, her desk was neat and no files were out of place. Her bedroom door was cracked open so I peered inside to see it was just as we left it this morning. Sighing, I shut the door and turn around to scan her office one more time. 

Guess I'll go check Hange's office.

I take a step and feel something give underneath my boot. Huh? Removing my foot I notice a small sharp object on the floor. I pick it up and examine it. The object appears to be a dart of some kind, it has a long needle attached to a metal canister with red hair-like fur coming out the back.

Panic starts to set in as I realize exactly what kind of darts theses are. Tranquilizer darts, also known as sleeper darts, are usually used on animals, but can be used on humans in right dosages to knock them out. 

I light a couple candles and just then do I notice her blade thrown to corner of the room. The only time she doesn't have it on her is when she sleeps or showers. I pick it up and I am slightly relieved to see no blood on it, but still this is a bad sign, and it gets worse.

A set of footprints, barely noticeable, travel from her window to a spot in the middle of the room, and back to the window. I run over to the window and notice scuff marks on the sill, along with a very fait handprint on the glass. Both sets of prints are too big to be hers.

Her words from the forest cross my mind, "I dragged us out here because if we don't tread carefully, we'll all end up six feet under ground."

(Y/N) is this what you've been paranoid about all these weeks? As your life been in danger this whole time? 

Now I see why she's been so secretive about the origin of her information. I heard rumor's about Erwin's dad and how he was killed by MP officers to keep his mouth shut after he talked about the possibility of human life beyond the walls. The government tends to silence those who talk about anything outside or what happened 100 years ago.