Chapter 27 - The Truth

Art Credit: melt_0308 on Instagram

Your POV

Levi looks up at me confused as he takes my hand and I pull him to a standing position. "(Y/N), what are you talking about?"

"I'll explain soon, just go eat some dinner and clean up. Meet me at the stables in a hour."

He lightly grabs my arm before I could walk away. "How come you can't tell me now?"

I look around at the empty training grounds. "We may be alone now, but that might change. I can't risk anyone else overhearing this conversation."

He nods his head. "Okay, I'll meet you in an hour." Before he leaves he yanks my arm and pulls me into a light kiss. My hand grazes his cheek and another tangles in his hair as I savor this moment, he may never want to kiss me again after I tell him the truth. When our lips part, I look down, knowing if I stare in his eyes I'll never be able to look away. I give his hand a tight squeeze and turn around to head back to my office.

-----

My hands shake as I ready Copenhagen's saddle. What was I thinking when I kissed him? My actions are only going to make this conversation even harder than it already is. When I let him get that leg sweep off, lust was driving my decisions over logic. At first, I just wanted to spar with him and tease him, but seeing his forearms flex and chest exposed, my mind veered back to my thoughts during the meeting.

I'm letting my personal needs and greed get in the way of reason again. Even if by some miracle he does not hate my guts by the end of tonight, is starting a romantic relationship really a good idea? I'll never forget what Jacob did to me, and how he manipulated my feelings into almost killing me. Instinctively I trace the scar on my abdomen through my shirt, I don't have to see it to know where it is. My other free hand reaches up to graze the scar on my cheek. Two scars forever etched in my skin by two men who took advantage of my emotional state. A constant reminder of what happens when you let people in.

Levi walks in exactly at six o'clock, punctual as usual. I lead his saddled horse over to him along with mine. He takes the leather reins and hoists himself up. "You know I would've come earlier to help with the horses."

"It's fine," I reply as I mimic his actions. "Just follow me, the trip wont take long."

We start trotting our horses outside of the barn stables and onto the cobblestone path that wraps itself around the whole property. "Where are we going?" He inquires.

"Just somewhere private." I slap my reins and Copenhagen takes off into a sprint, with Levi swiftly following behind me. We ride a few miles until we reach a small forest. This section of land is still on Survey Corps property so we shouldn't run into any civilians. But due to it's thick density and smaller trees, this forest isn't used for training so we shouldn't bump into any soldiers either.

I hop off and tie my horse to a tree trunk, instructing Levi to do the same. I pat my pocket to reassure the document still sits snugly in my jacket. I motion him to follow me. The second we step into the forest, I feel myself cool off from the small drop in temperature. Different species of maple and hickory trees grow close, their branches intertwine together to create a shaded canopy. As we walk, my nose fills with scents of dirt and moss, and the loud buzzing of cicadas permeate my eardrums.

My eyes scan the ground, looking for any clearings to sit. After a few minutes we find a small opening where two trees fell parallel to each other. Their bark has been tripped either by woodland creatures or the weather, leaving the wood smooth and dry. I sit on one and Levi sits on the other about a few feet in front of me.