Chapter 20 - Expedition Preparations

Survey Corps HQ (Inside Wall Rose)

Your POV

Everyone from last night gathered in the conference room to discuss a new strategy. We all sat around an oval table brainstorming ideas.

Erwin spoke up first, as usual. "So (Y/N), why exactly was your friend unwilling to help?"

"I honestly should have known he wouldn't talk, it was more of a shot in the dark. He said that kind of information is for MP's only and trying to take back wall Maria is useless."

"So I guess we're back to square one?" Hange asks.

"Yeah basically. Maybe on this upcoming expedition we can thoroughly assess the damage done in Shiganshina, I didn't have much time to when I was there." A shudder ran through my spine as flashbacks of Carla's death and titans rampaging through the city flood my mind.

"Okay we'll go with that, (Y/N) if you think of anything else let me know."

I salute, "Of course Commander."

We spent the next hour going over formations and squad assignments. One of the reasons Erwin was promoted to Commander so young is because of his strategizing skills. He developed a way to utilize color-coded smoke signals to communicate while out in the field. This way, we can focus on evading titans instead of always fighting them head-on.

Hange's squad and mine will be located in the front center column, along with Erwin's group. Our goal is to just ride to Shiganshina and inspect the walls and gates. On our way we'll look for any remaining survivors as well as retrieve important documents from the Garrison HQ located in the city.

After being dismissed Hange and I walked back to her lab to start preparing medical bags. I just recently passed my medical exam, so now I'll be our squad's acting Captain and medic. Normally, all medics are supposed to stay with the supply wagons, but Erwin didn't want my combat skills to go to waste. I also convinced him to start allowing all squad's to have at least one medical bag with them, something as simple as compression gauze can mean life or death.

We reach her office and I start pulling out all the materials when Hange starts talking, "I'm so excited we're finally hanging out, it's been so long since we've had some girl time!"

I roll my eyes, but also smile. "Hange we're working, now isn't the time to gossip... but this is nice to talk, just you and I."

"You know I'm always for gossip... so how are things with Levi? Don't think I didn't notice him walk out of your room this morning." She ended her sentence with a wink.

"Oh my walls Hange, no. He slept on my couch because he was worried about me after what happened, that's all."

She let's out an exaggerated gasp, "How come you didn't invite him to bed with you? Gosh (Y/N) you're a terrible hostess."

I would be lying if I said I didn't consider it. Not in a sexual way or anything, it just seems nice to not be alone for once. Even after everything that happened, I'm starting to miss the way I felt in his arms. But I push those feelings away, not wanting to get hurt again or have to face the guilt. I shake my head at her, "I don't think it would be very professional for a Captain to be sleeping with her Lieutenant."

"Nonsense! Professionalism isn't stopping Moblit and I! Do you know the number of times we've done it in my office?" She cackles and twirls around.

I look down at the workbench I'm situated at and back up at her, "Please tell me you clean up afterwards? Also I had a feeling you're banging Moblit, you have that man wrapped around your finger."