Chapter 16 - The Aftermath

Trost District

Levi's POV

By the time we got to Trost, the first refugee boat already arrived. Apparently we were one of the last places to be notified of the breach, how ironic considering scouts are trained and experienced in dealing with titans. Even though we arrived late, the Garrison were more than happy to have our help directing everyone.

Hange and some other medically experienced scouts were in charge of the medical tent, Erwin and Mike were with some higher ups in a meeting, the rest of us divided up into groups to help pass out supplies. Each person who came up was either frantically crying, stone faced, or shock stricken.

For once in my life I can sympathize with others, I understand the pain of losing loved ones to the mouth of a titan. These past two weeks have been difficult, every day I wake up I miss them. And even in my sleep I'm tortured with nightmares of their deaths, blood and feelings of dread filling my mind. I didn't think my insomnia could get worse, but now I can only manage about three hours of sleep a night.

Luckily, I've been using training to distract my mind. Pummeling and kicking a punching bag is a great way to release tension and anger. Also the lessons with Hange has helped and we've grown slightly closer, she's not as annoying as I thought she was.

As for my, or I guess (Y/N)'s squad, they're not terrible. Meena and Aris work well together, I believe I remember them mentioning they all roomed with (Y/N). Chris on the other hand is somewhat of a slacker and complainer. Now I understand why I got my ass beat on my first day, arrogant shit heads need to be taught proper discipline. Out of everyone, I get along with Eld the most, he's serious, hardworking, and doesn't pry into one's private life.

While we've been handing out supplies, I've been frantically looking around checking for (Y/N). Each time I see someone remotely her height with (h/c) hair I have the urge to call out. But to my disappointment, I always find an unfamiliar face.

Out of the corner my eye I see two kids, a boy and a girl, going up to different survey corps members asking them questions. The boy wore a navy blue coat that was at least three sizes too big for him. One of the scouts pointed a finger in my direction and mouthed something I wasn't able to make out.

The two come bounding towards my direction and then realization hit me. They were the kids who greeted (Y/N) before the expedition, they must be the family she's staying with. The black haired girl looked up at me with hope filled eyes.

"Are you Levi Ackerman?"

I cock an eyebrow, "Yes that's me, who are you?"

She instantly throws her arms around my torso in a hug and looks up, "I'm Mikasa! Mikasa Ackerman, (Y/N) told us to find you, she said you could help us."

My first instinct was to throw this kid off me, I rarely do hugs. But when I found out her last name, I softened up a bit. I thought my mom was the only blood family I had. She lets go and I crouch at eye level, "You said (Y/N) sent you, where is she?" I said the words a bit more frantically than I would have liked to admit, but the suspense these past hours have been killing me.

The two give each other a nervous glance before the boy speaks up, "She stayed behind with the Garrison to help fend off the titans..... but don't worry! She promised she'd come back, she always does."

I rub my temple with my hands and a sinking feeling forms in my gut. That idiot, she's on medical leave. Why would she try to fight? There's no way her injuries are completely healed. Also why did she send them to me? I don't know how to help these kids.

"Hey kid what's your name?"

"I'm Eren Jaeger, (Y/N)'s nephew." He says proudly.

"I didn't realize you guys are related."