Mending

Autumn walked to the bathroom as Bucky followed  behind.

She searched through the cabinet looking for some hydrogen peroxide.
He could not help but look at the small curves of her body in the silky gown.

He hated himself. He would never be able to be with someone like her. She may have been the kindest woman he had ever met, but the fear in her eyes when she saw his arm let him know she would never let him caress her with that metal hand that killed so many.

"Sit down"
Autumn's voice bought him back from his thoughts, and he did as commanded.

She poured the peroxide onto a rag. "This may sting." She warned.

Buck gave a halfhearted smile. "I'm sure I have felt worse."

Autumn knelt to be at eye level with him. His blue orbs trying to read her. She started to dab the rag onto the mutilated skin, her brows knitted together.

Bucky questioned her every move. She did not show fear but confidence. Her movements were so smooth as she patted his chest with the cloth and then grabbed some cream, but then she stopped. Her head cocked to the side looking close at the skin, she set the cream down.
Then she did something that shocked the man. She put her hand on his chest her eyes locked on the scars, and she gently traced each one.

Buck held his breath his was heart beating so fast and so hard he could swear she could feel it.

"This is amazing. How does it work?" She mused as her fingers lightly grazed over his skin.

"The bone has been fused to the metal, the wires are attached to my nerves." He said in a low tone his eyes still not leaving her.

She lifted her head only to be a few inches from his face. A smile graced her lips, in awe of the design. She ran
her hand down the cold metal, her fingertips following the curves until they ended at his hand. Her fingers intertwined with his
Fliping his hand over to examine it closely.

Bucky glanced from her inquisitive eyes to her lips, he felt butterflies in his stomach. He just wished he could kiss her, her soft pink lips pulling him into a trance.
At that moment he almost felt like his old self like he had the confidence to kiss her... But then that moment ended when she turned her head reaching for the ointment.
He exhaled as his heart broke that he did not take his chance.

"Buck, what happened anyway, why we're you bleeding.." She asked as her fingers lightly rubbing the cream on the cuts.

"I was dreaming... Of the day they put this on me." He shrugged his metal shoulder.
" I used to dig at it to try to get it off." He swallowed thick, then he chuckled trying to lighten the mood. "as you can clearly see I did not succeed."

Autumn did not laugh, she just stared at him. In a state of shock that this man was not as he was portrayed in the news. "Who did that to you?" She whispered.

"Hydra, they used me as their weapon for 70 years."

"70 years ago? How is that possible?" she questioned.

"It's like what happened to Captain America, I'm older than I look."

Autumn was deep in thought for a moment but then gently put a hand on his human one giving it a light squeeze. "Well, you look good for your age." She smiled.

"Thanks," he laughed but went quiet again "and thank you for waking me up, and for not kicking us out." He said still feeling worried she would change her mind.

"You're welcome, Buck."

A.N.
THE PICTURE WAS FOUND ON GOOGLE.