Sleep on it

Bucky paced the floor it was quarter to midnight, and the worse thoughts were flooding his mind.

What if the man she went out with her was with Hydra?

Or what if he was a greasy punk that only wanted her for one thing?

Buck's blood boiled, he could see Autumn crying and begging for the soldier to save her from this lustful man.

Buck felt sick, his hand holding his phone still in his pocket. He doesn't even know where they went. Should he call?

Suddenly he saw the light turn on sciencing movement on the porch.

He sighed in relief.

The date went too well. Steven was a gentleman, saying and doing all the right things. As much as she wanted to say she hated the date, it was actually very enjoyable. They had had dinner, then went and walked around the city, grabbed some dessert from a small bakery, and then watched the boats in the lake.

As he walked her to the door he smiled

"It was a pressure taking you out tonight." he kissed her hand.

Autumn felt the heat rise to her cheeks. "I had a wonderful night. Thank you."

"Hopefully we can do this again," Stephen said.

"That sounds nice. Good night and thank you again." Autumn opened the door, stepped
inside and watched her date pulling out of the driveway.

"How was your date?"

The sound of Buck's voice caught her off gourd and she jumped at his words.

"You scared me. It went well. Why are you still up?" She inquired.

"Because I wanted to be sure you were safe," Buck uttered before he could think.

"Well, I'm home you should head to bed."

Bucky inhaled through his nose, looking blankly at his feet. "Why did you go out with him?" He muttered almost hoping she would not hear.

"Stephen is a good man. He could help support me, maybe I would not have to be so overworked. He would be a good father, I'm sure. And I feel safe with him." She almost sounded like she was trying to convince herself.

Every word felt like a knife. She might as well have said:
'Stephen is better than you, he's not messed up. He's not a garbage man. He will live in this house, not you. He can make me feel safe. I would give him my children. Im not afraid of him.'

Buck felt a sudden surge of boldness hit him yet it escaped, masked with an odd calm.

" I could support us, you don't have to work so hard. I could be a good father, heck, I'm already trying. As for safety, id never let anything happen to you. "

Autumn stood wide-eyed as the soldier stepped in front of her.

"Please, just sleep on it. Our future may not be perfect, but I like what I see when I dream about us." His voice broke as he started in her eyes.

Autumn opened her mouth but was stopped. Buck now stood so close, she could feel his breath. He leaned in. She closed her eyes waiting for the kiss but felt his lips on her forehead.
He lingered there, taking in her scent then whispered to her.

"Sleep on it."

Then turned walking to his room.
Leaving their mind boggled, her heart racing, and her lips dry.