Only Love Can Hurt Like This

~A/N
Chapter name brought to you by my lovely readers ~

The days went on and an uncomfortable tension was felt in the home Buck and Autumn shared. No more late night tv time, less conversation at the diner table, and both parties feeling a sense of loss.

Autumn was not at the dinner table this night. She was busy getting ready. She had been asked on a date by a surgeon that used to work at her hospital. She said "yes", but not without an odd longing for a different man to be picking her up tonight.

Bucky plated some homemade lasagna, he missed the connection Autumn and himself had a week ago, she was not rude to him after the talk that night, but her demeanor did change. She was not as confident as she was before.

Autumn walked down the stairs, her off-the-shoulder red cocktail dress showing off her long legs. Buck's eyes lifted from the food, to see her trying to hook a necklace.

"You look like a princess." Joy said running up to her smiling as if she was Queen Elsa in the flesh.

"Thank you Joy." Autumn silently cursed the clasp of her jewelry for not working.

The soldier went up to her tucking some hair behind his ear. "May I," he asked

She nodded, handing him the pendant necklaces.
Turning so her back was to him, she lifted her chestnut brown hair. He laid the chain across her neck and carefully began to work on the clip. His cold metal hand lightly grazed at her skin.
Sending a shiver down her whole body.

"Sorry." His low voice apologized.

She felt what little joy she had about the date leaving her and a sudden need to be home with Bucky pulling at her heart. He was all she wanted.

And all he wanted was her. His hands do not want to leave her warm skin.

"There," he breathed as he let go of the necklace. Autumn dropped her hair back down.

She turned to thank him but when their eyes caught all thoughts left. They stood there staring at each other, stuck in the moment like some curse.

His eyes glanced at her pinkened lips.

Then a knock was heard and the spell was broken.

She turned and went to answer the door.

Bucky tried to discreetly catch a glimpse of the creep she was going out with.

"You look lovely Autumn." He heard a deep voice say.

"Thank you Stephen."

A very tall man with streaks of gray in his hair handed her some flowers.

"Should we be on our way then?" The man named Stephen said.

Bucky rolled his eyes in disgust at the man's fake charm.

Autumn grabbed a jacket and with one last glance at Buck, she gave a smile to which he returned with tight lips and a small wave.
She pulled the door shut as she stepped onto the porch.

"So, how does some Habachi sound? I know a great place." Stephen said putting his arm out for her to grab.

She smiled even though it did not reach her eyes.
"Sounds Lovely, lead the way Doctor Strange."