Family

Autumn walked around the kitchen getting everything ready for the small group. She plated an omelet and some toast with jelly on each plate.

"Ok guys, come and get it!" She said. Peter and Joy ran to the table, Bucky trailing behind them. He sat down, saying a quiet 'thank you as Autumn handed him his plate. The food smelled amazing. They all began to eat making small conversation. Joy picked up the omelet and began to eat it like a sandwich.

"Detka use your fork." Bucky corrected her.

"But I like eating it this way." The little girl said trying to bite a big piece of egg, dropping bits of cheese and veggies as it slipped from her grasp.

"Listen to your father, Sweetie,"  Autumn said kindly handing her a napkin.

The Soldier stopped, his breathing hitched.

He had a flashback to a small wooden table. A woman with beautiful brown hair tucked in a delicate bun. Her voice is so familiar as she echoed Autumn's words. A man sat at the table flipping through a newspaper. A little girl with braids in her hair giggled as she downed her potion of the meal. "Becca, act like a young lady."
The woman who he now had recognized was his mother scolded his little sister.
"James baby... are you ok?" His mom asked, but then her sweet voice faded to the voice of a young boy.

"Mr. Bucky, are you ok?"

Bucky snapped back to the present to see Peter looking at him confused.

"You ok?" Autumn questioned.

Buck filled his lungs, feeling like he got the wind knocked out of him.

"May I be excused." He said getting up from his seat and rushing upstairs to his room.

Pulling out a notebook he scribbled down the memory. every part he could remember; from the smell of the food to the pattern on his mother's dress.

After he was done he changed into his work uniform and went back downstairs.

" I have to go doll. Love you." He said kissing his baby on the cheek. He went to walk outside when Autumn stopped him.

"Hey, you ok?" She said standing in front of him at the door.

" Yeah, just had to do something, before I forgot." He smiled.

"Ok, I'll see you when you get home." She said as she fixed to the collar of his uniform, then without hesitation, her lips lightly kissed his cheek.

The kiss was so sudden and took him by such surprise, that he was unsure it even happened.

She turned around when it hit her what she had just done. She quickly shut the door from the inside. How could she have slipped so bad?  He was not her husband, This was a room for rent, not her family.