The Sting

As Bucky got into the beat-up Volkswagen his smile only grew. He felt his heart racing.
Autumn kissed him. Yes, it was only on the cheek but at least this means she has feelings for him.
Bucky sat in silence. His foot barely pressing the gas it was like he was in a fog. This was what he was waiting for, he would tell her after work, tell her he felt the same, that he loved her. He knew today was not going to go fast enough.

Autumn pressed her back to the door, her stomach felt sick as she slid to th floor. How could she have been so careless? This man was not Toby. Her husband was not coming back from the dead. She craved an embrace from him. She had dreamed about him the night before:
She and Toby we're lying in bed together a passionate kiss being shared between them. Her hand tangled in his blond hair. When she felt the need for air she pulled away. Her eyes opened to see Bucky in front of her. She smiled brightly at him, his eyes taking in her every feature. His hand rested on the back of her head as his metal thumb traced her lips and chin.
She had woke to her heart pounding in her chest as the butterflies came alive in her stomach.

Her eyes teared, she did not want to mess up the friendship between them but after having that dream he heart yearned for his touch.
Her late husband was nothing like bucky, Toby was the life of the party and very outgoing. Bucky on the other hand had his emotions suppressed for so long, would he even want a relationship after all his past that still needed healing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buck pulled into the driveway at 7:00 pm. He walked in the quiet home to the living room where Autumn was sitting on her brows furrowed in concentration over a book in one hand the other was laying over Joy's sleeping form.
His heart swelled at the sight.

"Hey there." He whispered, catching the woman's attention.

She gave a smile as he bent down to pick up his daughter.

" I'm going to take her to bed. You gonna be up for a little?" His voice was still low.

"Hmm-hmm " she hummed in reply.

Lifting Joy bri
del style he took her to their room. Autumn prayed he was not going to talk about the cheek kiss that had her on edge all day.
When Bucky entered back into the room he Autumn biting her lip.

"You ok?" He asked

"Yeah." She replied tucking her legs under herself.

"I just wanted to... talk... To you... About this morning." He sat down on the other end of the couch.

Autumn felt the heat rise on the back of her neck. Like gilt was coming to a boil in her back.

"I mean do you..." Before he could get another word out she interrupted.

" it was an accident. I'm sorry. I never meant to do that."

His heart fell, plumeting to his stomach. This was not the answer he was hoping for.
"Oh.." His hand pulled on his neck trying to lessen the tension he felt.
" No, of course... Don't worry about it." He managed.

She sighed. "I'm actually really tired. I think I'm going to head to bed."

"Ok."

He stood and walked to his room. The sting of her words still pierced his chest. He removed his shirt and got in bed. His steel eyes stared at the ceiling.

Was God holding out on this last thing he needed to be happy just for kicks? Was Autumn just supposed to be a friend? He did not want to be friends with her.

He closed his eyes letting sleep finally consume him but not without one last prayer.

'God, let her be mine, someday. I'll wait forever if I have to. I'll wait.'