Rehearsals

"Tell me again, why do I have to do this?" Davey grumbled to Louis from the back of the stage where the pink ladies were getting ready to rehearse their act for the talent show.

"Sharon said she'd make it worth my while," Louis said glancing over at her as she was giving Rhonda a last-minute pep talk. Boy was she taking this seriously, if only she'd give him that kind of attention.

"She said she'd make it worth your while," Davey continued. "What do I get out of it."

"How about the chance to hang out with a load of girls." Louis indicated his head towards Ruth. "Why don't you go and talk to her, she's not bad looking."

"I guess," Davey said looking mildly interested.

"Louis, can you move to the left," Sharon yelled. "You need to make room for Rhonda. She's gonna enter the stage between you and Davey, with Maggie and Jane two steps behind her."

Louis shuffled to one side while Rhonda got into position, and Sharon joined Michael by the piano, her face tense. Michael began to play and Sharon visibly relaxed as the girls around her sang their lines, however when Rhonda's performance started it all went wrong.

"If you fall in the fall you'll see," she sang waving a couple of branches that were supposed to be part of her 'October' costume. "September can be heavenly."

"Ow," Davey said holding a hand to his head where he'd been struck by the branch. "Watch it."

Rhonda stumbled but continuing to sing, now out of time with the music. "If you fall, may you fall-"

"That will be all today," Miss Mason shouted. "Thank you."

Rhonda paused, looking dismayed and Sharon ran onto the stage. "Wait," she snapped. "We still have three more seasons yet and we haven't even got halfway through one." She shot Rhonda an angry look.

"I'm sorry," Miss Mason said faux apologetic. "But I need the stage for my drama class."

Sharon threw her papers up in the air and flounced off the stage, leaving Rhonda to pick them up.

"I'm tired of being a tree," she muttered under her breath while Louis ran after Sharon.

"Hey Sharon, so what about tonight?" he called catching her up.

She spun around, her face furious. "Well, that was a complete and utter total waste of time! I might have known menopausal Barbie wouldn't give us a chance."

"Menopausal Barbie?"

"Miss Mason," Sharon snapped. "She wants the twins to win so we can't afford to make silly mistakes like taking Davey's eye out!"

"Right," Louis said trying not to laugh, she was taking it far too seriously. "So what about tonight?"

"I've got a load of homework to do. I've been so busy trying to get this act together it's really piled up." She let out an exaggerated sigh. "God, why did I bother?"

"I can help you with your math," Louis said knowing it was the one subject she struggled with that he found relatively easy.

"What about your homework? Haven't you got to redo your history essay?"

"That's in hand."

She frowned slightly. "Okay, if you're sure you have the time?"

"Yeah, no problem. We'll go for something to eat, and then work on your math." He grinned thinking he was a pretty good boyfriend and hopefully she'd show her appreciation before much longer.

~~~

"Steph, can I have a word?" Michael asked closing the piano while the girls around him said their goodbyes.