Chapter 2

Paulette stood behind Johnny as he went to take his shot in the bowling alley. He inclined his head towards her and winked before throwing the ball. Her heart melted, she was definitely winning him over.

'Way to go,' she yelled reaching out to give him a congratulatory hug, even though he had only knocked down two pins. He stiffened taking a step back from her, and she reminded herself that she needed to play it cool and let him make the advances.

'Mark that a strike,' Johnny called to Sharon who was keeping score.

'What!' Stephanie snapped, rounding on him. 'You hit two lousy pins.'

'That is a technical strike due to the fact that you chicks were late.' Stephanie and Sharon pulled faces at Paulette, and she shrugged apologetically. She had held them up trying to find the perfect outfit to impress Johnny, and her tight gold pants were doing the trick nicely. It was worth losing the points since Johnny could not keep his eyes off her.

It was her turn next and she walked slowly to the lane, giving her hips an extra wiggle. It was working, everyone was watching her. She glanced at Johnny and she swore he was almost salivating. She ignored the more murderous looks the girls were giving her, pretending to concentrate on her shot. When she couldn't sway her hips anymore without bordering on the ridiculous, she rolled the ball and knocked down all the pins. She turned around gleefully, and Johnny wrapped his arm around her waist.

'Hey, Paulette whose side are you on?' Sharon asked irritably.

'Our side!'

'Then don't fraternise with the enemy,' Rhonda said grabbing her arm and pulling her away from Johnny.

Paulette rolled her eyes, muttering under her breath. Sharon was sat beside Louis, Rhonda was with Goose, what was the big deal if she spent a bit of time with Johnny? Then she caught Stephanie's eye and felt a little ashamed. She guessed they were being a bit insensitive flirting in front of her, even if Steph had decided to finish with him.

                                                                           ~~~

By the time the game had finished Paulette was almost certain she had Johnny captivated. Every time she'd taken a shot he'd been watching, occasionally coming over and putting his arms around her, pretending to offer her tips. Despite her best intentions, she'd forgotten all about Stephanie as she lapped up his attention.

'That was another well-deserved victory,' Davey said as they were handing their bowling shoes in.

Johnny nodded, looking smug. 'So where's the trophy?' He caught Paulette's eye, the challenge clear.

'Right here, Johnny,' she said in her best breathy Marilyn voice. In an instant she was in his arms, her mouth meeting his as she gave him the kiss of her life. She heard Rhonda gasp behind her, and she closed her eyes, not wanting to think of the audience watching them. She'd imagined their first kiss would be more of a private affair.

'That was for best average,' Johnny said as they broke apart, and she smiled. 'Now what about a kiss for best score?' His hand reached out for Stephanie, who snatched her arm away angrily.

Paulette was rooted to the spot between the pair of them, too stunned to move. He just kissed me! She could feel her face heating up as she fought back tears, her humiliation plain to see.

Sharon and Rhonda looked from her to Johnny, to Steph, their faces appalled.

'What about a trophy for best score Steph?' Goose jeered as if the whole thing were a joke and Paulette was not stood trembling.