Chapter 5

The pink ladies made plans at lunchtime to rehearse after school much to Stephanie's chagrin. She hadn't expected entering the talent show to become so all-consuming, but then she had put Sharon in charge. Big mistake, the girl was a born slave driver.

"Do we really need to rehearse after school?" she grumbled giving Sharon a resentful look.

"Yes Stephanie, we do," Sharon said with exaggerated patience.

"Look I'll play my part but I've got bigger stuff to deal with."

Sharon pulled a face at Paulette, who raised her eyebrows in return.

"Bigger stuff?" Paulette asked tentatively. "You mean with Johnny?"

Stephanie groaned, did Paulette think the world revolved around him? Dumb question, of course, she did.

"I'm busy with school work and working at the service station," she said feeling distant from them. "I don't have time for all this shit."

"That's a rather negative attitude," Sharon said, her lips pursed.

"I said I'll play my part!"

They glared at each other and Paulette awkwardly coughed. "Hey guys, did I tell you my mom wants me to invite Johnny over for dinner?"

"Really?" Rhonda asked wide-eyed. "Are you going to?"

"I'm not sure, I don't wanna scare him off."

"Louis comes over for dinner all the time," Sharon said, slightly superior. "It's no big deal if he likes you."

Paulette's face fell. "We can't all have the perfect relationship like you. I don't want to come on too strong."

Rhonda stifled a giggle and Stephanie resisted the temptation to bang her head on the table. Why did all conversations have to lead back to the T birds?

"Guys why don't you focus on something else in your lives," she said exasperated.

Rhonda gaped at her. "Like what?"

"Like anything! You're all obsessed with having T bird boyfriends. Do you even like these guys?" They all started to protest but she cut them off, she was done with biting her tongue.

"Paulette why on earth are you throwing yourself at Johnny?" She gave her a quizzical look. "Seriously he's nothing special, I should know. Would you give these guys the time of day if they weren't T birds?"

Rhonda and Sharon rolled their eyes at each other but Paulette spoke up.

"Steph, I understand it might be hard for you not being with Johnny anymore," she began and Stephanie spluttered.

"I don't want to be with Johnny or any of the T birds. They're assholes."

"I think you are being very unfair pulling our relationships apart just because you don't have one of your own," Sharon said her eyes blazing.

"Relationships?" Steph scoffed. "Is that what you call them? Well, we can all see exactly where your relationship is heading!"

Sharon slammed her knife down and Rhonda quickly spoke up.

"I don't know what's gotten into you Steph but you're out of order saying that." Her voice rose an octave. "None of us are saying the T birds are perfect but why are you picking our lives apart? We'd never do that to you."

Stephanie felt the wind leave her sails. "Okay I'm sorry, I didn't mean it," she said her shoulders sagging. "I guess I'm just fed up. It's our last year of high school and I'm not making the most of it. I want something more in my life."