Chapter 7

Davey watched Sharon talking intently to Louis on the other side of the stage during rehearsals. She had her arms crossed, while Louis looked at the floor, shifting his weight from one foot to the other.

Dolores sidled over to him. "What's that all about?" She nodded her head in Sharon's direction. "She looks furious."

"I dunno," Davey snickered, imagining the tongue lashing Louis was probably getting.

"Yeah you do, so spill it."

Davey shrugged, trying not to laugh. "He made some crack in biology that was sorta about her. I guess she's pissed off."

"What did he say?" Dolores looked at him eagerly. "You can tell me, we're fellow stage-hands remember?"

"I can't repeat it," he said wishing he hadn't opened his mouth. "You're too young."

"Too young to hear a joke!" She looked at him incredulously. "Well, it must have been a shit joke if she's pissed off."

"Yeah it was a shit joke, he was being a jerk," Davey said, thinking that actually, Louis was. His ego was getting the better of him and he was going to blow it with Sharon, in much the same way Johnny had blown it with Stephanie.

~~~

"Aw, it was just a joke, Sharon," Louis said trying to put his arm around her. "Don't be like this."

She pushed him away, her eyes blazing. "Do I look like I'm laughing? I might not have said anything in class but that's only cos I didn't want to be embarrassed anymore than I already was."

Jeez, she's not gonna let me off the hook this time.

"Sharon," he said reaching out again. "I wasn't trying to embarrass you."

She glared at him through narrowed eyes. "If it's a problem that you're not getting very far with me then go find someone else!"

"Stop overreacting. It was a joke, okay it was a bad joke but still..." He hadn't directed his comments at her, it was just a flippant remark he'd made to Johnny but maybe he was a bit too loud.

"Look, I'm under a lot of pressure here," she said turning her attention back to the performance and Louis could tell the heat was going out of her argument. "I'm not in the mood to be the butt of anyone's jokes."

"Sorry babe," he said thinking it was probably best to admit fault. Not that he thought he'd done anything wrong, it wasn't like he spoke about her the way Johnny spoke about Paulette. Then she'd have cause to complain. "But you should be flattered I'm so into you."

"We've got no chance against the twins," she said ignoring his apology. "Miss Mason always puts us on last and we never get a full rehearsal."

"Yeah but the twins suck." Their high pitched, whiny singing grated on everyone's nerves. "Who's gonna vote for that lame shit."

Sharon finally raised a smile. "I hope for once in your life you're right Dimucci."

"I am, and you know it."

~~~

Sharon and Rhonda sat by the side of the stage watching the T birds performance; it was bad, very bad.

Rhonda giggled. "Are you going to tell them or shall I?" she whispered.

Sharon smiled back, she was just relieved they had passed auditions. She didn't think Miss Mason had actively tried to scupper their chances but she championed the twins at every opportunity. She looked over at Mrs McGee and could tell she was appalled by the T birds performance. Johnny was upfront as lead singer and the other T birds were hanging back, almost trying to dissociate themselves from the act. Johnny however was strutting his stuff, enjoying being the centre of attention.