Chapter 3

"Thank you so much, we really do appreciate it," Sharon said laying it on thick as she persuaded Francine and Ruth to join their act in the talent show. She'd promised Stephanie that she'd organise it - no way were the other pink ladies capable since they all lacked her perfectionist streak - and she already had most of the roles filled. Louis and Davey were helping with props and anything else she might need them to, and she was fighting off girls who wanted to be backing singers. However, she wasn't going to accept just anyone.

"I'm a trained singer," Ruth said hesitantly. "My mom was kinda hoping I'd perform a solo piece."

"Mine too," Sharon said with a big smile. "But can you imagine how nerve-wracking that would be? And I think a group performance has far more chance of winning, no way will Mrs McGee want to give the prize to one person."

"I guess you're right," Ruth said brightening up. "One hundred long-playing albums is far too many for one person."

"Of course, it is." She caught sight of Michael Carrington walking down the hallway and her eyes narrowed. "Look, I've got to go but we'll talk some more at lunchtime," she said knowing that the chance to eat with the pink ladies would keep them onside. "I promise you won't regret this." She walked towards Michael, her heels clip-clopping as she forced herself not to run. "Hey, wait up."

Michael turned around, regarding her curiously. "Were you talking to me?"

"Isn't that obvious?" she said adjusting her hat and giving him a knowing look. "I heard you're playing the piano for the twins in the talent contest?" She couldn't help but hear it, the twins had been crowing that the English exchange student was helping them out thinking it gave them kudos or something.

Michael leaned back on his heels. "I got roped into it. Why'd you ask?"

"I kinda got roped into the show as well," she said not admitting that it served the dual purpose of keeping her mom off her back and gave her something she could get her teeth into. She intended to make a mark in her last year at Rydell, however uncool that might be.

"So what does this have to do with me?" Michael asked playing dumb.

Great, he's gonna make me beg. I should have got Steph to ask him. "We need someone to play the piano for our act. I mean we could manage without but it would sound better with a pianist."

"I didn't say I was a pianist."

"You can play, can't you?" she asked impatiently.

"I can a bit."

"Great! I'll see you at rehearsals on Friday."

"Wait, what?" he said as she began to walk away. "I never said-"

"You like Stephanie, don't you?" she said spinning around and smiling. "I saw the way you looked at her in the bowling alley when she kissed you."

He froze and then awkwardly cleared his throat. "Maybe you could put in a good word for me," he said and she swore he blushed.

"I could," she said crossing her fingers, no way would the T birds stand for that. "But I think you should speak for yourself. If you're part of our act in the talent show it'll give you a good chance to get to know her."

"I suppose I could help you out," he said, a hint of a smile on his face. "The twins won't be happy though."

"Screw them," she said dismissively. "You've got better things to think about."

Steph is gonna kill me.

~~~

Paulette paused as she walked down the corridor; she held her books more tightly to her chest trying to hide her nerves. Johnny and Goose were stood by their lockers, their backs to her. She contemplated turning around and walking in the opposite direction but it would be beyond embarrassing if she got caught out.

She took a deep breath. Smile, say hello, be cool.

"Hi Johnny," she said as she approached them. "What's up?"

"Hey," Johnny said leaning against his locker and leering at her. "You're looking good, that top really suits you."

Her face broke into a smile even though she recognised his blatant attempt at flattery. Still, it was better than him snubbing her. Again. "You're not looking so bad yourself," she said looking up at him from under her eyelashes. He rewarded her by pushing Goose away and taking her by the elbow, pulling her towards him.

"I'm glad we bumped into each other," he said meeting her eyes. "The other night, you know that was nothing to do with you? That was unfinished business with me and Steph, it didn't mean anything."

"I dunno," she said although she wanted to believe him. "It felt pretty intense, you were so emotional."

He scoffed. "I wasn't emotional, I was pissed off cos she keeps disrespecting me, disrespecting all of us. She wants to be a pink lady but she doesn't wanna follow the rules."

"You might have a point there," she said unable to disagree with him. "But it felt more personal than that."

"It wasn't."

She shrugged. "It doesn't matter, it's nothing to do with me."

"No, it isn't," he said and her heart sank. "So do you wanna get together on Friday night?"

"What? But you said..." He grinned and her and she felt her cheeks heat up. So much for playing it cool. "I'm not sure what I'm doing Friday."

He leaned closer to her. "You know what you're doing. You're coming out with me." He winked at her before walking away, giving her no chance to disagree. Not that she was going to when he'd finally asked her out!

"Close your mouth, you look like you've swallowed a goldfish," Rhonda said coming up behind her and giving her a gentle shove.

"You will never guess what's just happened," she exclaimed watching Johnny's retreating form.

"The asshole asked you out?"

"Rhonda!"

"He's an asshole, am I supposed to call him something else?"

Paulette giggled. "How about my boyfriend?"

Rhonda gawped at her. "Have you forgotten what happened at the bowlarama? He wanted to play tonsil tennis with Steph in front of all of us."

Thanks for reminding me.

"It wasn't how it looked," she said taking a deep breath. "That was more about testing Steph's loyalty to the T birds. It wasn't personal."

"Are you sure?" Rhonda looked furtively around her. "I know what it's like to like someone who likes someone else, I know how demoralising it is."

"Are you talking about Dimucci? That's hardly the same. You were his girlfriend and he was interested in someone else."

"Yeah and you're not even Johnny's girlfriend," Rhonda said sounding offended. "You're his wannabe girlfriend and he's still hung up on his ex. I think you're in an even worse position than I was."

"Thanks a lot!"

"Sorry." Rhonda put a consoling arm around her. "But I've been there and I don't want to see you get hurt. I was my own worst enemy, I should have walked away but I dug my heels in."

Paulette tried to smile. "Thanks for the advice but it's not needed. Johnny's asked me out, he might still have feelings for Steph but he's over her."

"I hope you're right," Rhonda said giving her a weak smile.

"I am, we had a good talk and we've cleared the air."

"Did he apologise?"

She inhaled sharply. Had he? She couldn't remember. "We talked," she said fluffing her hair up. "Properly talked, I think it was a bit more in-depth than a meaningless apology."

"So he didn't say sorry?"

"I'm sure he did, or words to that effect." She gave Rhonda a stern look. "I know what I'm doing so please stop questioning me."

"Okay," Rhonda said but Paulette knew she wasn't convinced.

That made two of them.

~~~

Thank you for reading, please consider voting.