Chapter 24

'You'll have to go soon,' Sharon said as she cuddled up to Louis. She couldn't believe what they'd just done and was trying very hard not to freak out.

'I don't like the thought of you here by yourself. I'm kinda surprised your mom has left you.'

She smiled slightly. 'I'll be fine but my mom's got my brother checking up on me. He'll kill you if he finds you here.' Now that was an understatement.

'He's not likely to come round at this time of night,' Louis said. 'You're being paranoid.'

Sharon bit her lip. 'He'll probably be round first thing Saturday morning.' She knew her mom had told him to check up on her daily.

'So I'll say I've just got here.'

Sharon frowned sinking back into the pillow, she was sure she had guilt written all over her face. As if sensing what she was thinking Louis spoke up.

'Look no one's gonna find out.' She gave him a sceptical look. 'I'm serious, unless you talk no one will know.'

'I've heard the way you guys talk,' she said chewing her lip again. She'd put money on it that he'd be bragging to Johnny in no time at all.

'Well I won't, I know I was an idiot....' He stopped talking, interrupted by the sound of banging at the front door. Sharon tensed up.

'Relax, you don't have to answer it,' Louis told her.

'But who could it be at this time of night?' She got out of bed and put her robe on, trying to see through the window.

'It's Paulette,' she hissed as the knocking continued. 'What can she want? She's going to wake up all the neighbours.' They could both now hear Paulette shouting.

'I'll have to answer,' Sharon said and Louis sighed. He got up and began to get dressed while Sharon ran down the stairs.

'Oh my god, what's wrong?' she exclaimed as she opened the door to Paulette's tear-stained face.

'I've had a huge row with my mom, she's thrown me out,' Paulette sobbed coming inside.

Sharon pursed her lips ever so slightly, so Paulette had fallen out with her mom and come running to her. No doubt because she lived the closest, it wasn't like they were the best of friends.

'So why's your mom done that?' she asked as Louis came down the stairs. 

'Oh you're here,' Paulette said to Louis, her shoulders sagging.

'Yeah I was just fixing the leg on Sharon's desk,' he said winking at Sharon. 'The screw had come loose.' Sharon blushed but Paulette didn't seem to notice.

'Oh right,' she said drifting off. 'I guess you made up after that argument you had.'

Sharon and Louis exchanged looks, and Sharon was sure her face was scarlet red.

'Louis why don't you get yourself home now,' she said picking up on Paulette's reticence and ushering him towards the door.

'Okay, how about I pick you up for lunch tomorrow at one?' He put his arm around her waist pulling her up against him.

'Yeah that'll be great,' she said smiling. She let him kiss her a bit longer than necessary and then went to attend to Paulette.

                                                                     ~~~~

Paulette sat down and dried her eyes while Sharon got them some drinks.

'So what's happened?' Sharon asked. She'd never seen Paulette in this state before, even when Johnny was treating her really badly.