Chapter 21

Paulette was getting ready for the graduation ceremony in the room she shared with Dolores. She looked critically at herself in the mirror; there was no denying it, she had definitely put on weight.

'Just look at me,' she complained to Dolores. 'Look at my chest. The girls were saying I have water retention but these things are more like flotation devices!'

Dolores rolled her eyes. 'Stop bragging.'

'I'm serious, my bra's too tight.' Normally she loved flaunting her curves but this was ridiculous.

'Well no one will be able to tell in the gown you'll have on.'

'I guess I'll have to go on a diet.' She pinched her waist. Talk about bad timing, her parents were taking them out for a slap up meal after the ceremony and she was going to have to nibble on lettuce leaves!

~~~~

Stephanie stood in the line next to Michael for their official graduation picture and felt a mixture of excitement and resignation. She was excited thinking about her future with Michael, less thrilled about working for her dad. He was so busy he couldn't even make the ceremony and come tomorrow she'd be working all hours as well.

'At least your mother made it,' Michael said.

'Yeah, I know.' She had to admit that he had it worse, neither of his parents could be there. She glanced over at Rhonda's parents who were clearly bursting with pride, and she felt a little sad again.

'So what's everyone doing later?' Goose asked as they relaxed after the photograph had been taken.

'We're going for lunch with Steph's mom, and my aunt and uncle,' Michael said.

'Right,' Goose said sounding glum as Rhonda was dragged away by her parents who wanted to take even more pictures of her. 'Hey Dimucci, what are you guys doing later?'

'We're going for lunch as well,' Louis said indicating to his parents and Sharon's mom who was trying to get them to pose for a picture together.

'Why don't you join us, Bradley?' Louis's mom suggested.

'Thanks but I've got plans.' He pulled a face at Steph. 'There's no way I'd go with them. Have you seen Louis's sister, she's scary.'

Steph smiled, she knew Sharon absolutely loathed Louis's older sister, it definitely wasn't going to be an enjoyable occasion.

'Hey,' Paulette said pushing her way into the group to stand next to Stephanie, Johnny following closely behind her.

'Hi, what are you guys doing later?' Steph asked.

'I'm trying to convince Johnny to come for lunch with my parents,' Paulette said pouting up at him.

Johnny cleared his throat. 'I'm sure your folks would rather spend the day with just you and Dolores,' he said looking over at her parents. Steph didn't think he was wrong there, he'd have his work cut out with them after the way he'd treated Paulette.

'I guess so,' Paulette admitted.

'Actually Steph, can I have a word?' Johnny asked taking her elbow and pulling her to one side before she'd even had a chance to respond.

She looked at him expectantly. 'What's up, Johnny?'

'Well,' he said drawing out his words. 'I was having a word with your old man and he said he could use a spare pair of hands.' Steph held in a sigh, she'd expected something like this after Johnny had helped her dad out last summer. 'He offered to take me on but I thought I should run it by you before I accept.'